News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Made in the USA?

Started by littleharbor2, September 22, 2023, 06:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleharbor2

I'm having a discussion on another forum and am curious as to what part or percentage of Midnite equipment is Made in the USA? Mainly your Controllers and Inverters are what I'm curious about. I know the DIY line isn't made here but How about your main new stuff.
 It's my contention that Midnite Solar's products are the most made in the USA solar products you can buy.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank

boB

You are correct in that everything except those couple of DIY units are all made in Arlington, WA  USA

However, parts come from all over.  Raw PCBs come from China or Taiwan.  Aluminum castings come from China and Thailand.

FETs come from anywhere but not China.  Electrolytics come from China and the best capacitor manufacturer in the world.

Resistors and small caps ?  Not sure where but a lot I am sure come from China.

Connectors...  Not sure but the Classic terminal block is made here in Arlington from plastic made in China and square terminals from I don't know where.

That's the short story.   But we actually build things here as well as population of the PCBs and testing etc.

There was a video I made about 8 years ago of our production facility which was in another building at the time.

I think I saw your post ?  Was that in https://diysolarforum.com/  ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

littleharbor2

Quote from: boB on September 23, 2023, 01:27:42 PMYou are correct in that everything except those couple of DIY units are all made in Arlington, WA  USA

However, parts come from all over.  Raw PCBs come from China or Taiwan.  Aluminum castings come from China and Thailand.

FETs come from anywhere but not China.  Electrolytics come from China and the best capacitor manufacturer in the world.

Resistors and small caps ?  Not sure where but a lot I am sure come from China.

Connectors...  Not sure but the Classic terminal block is made here in Arlington from plastic made in China and square terminals from I don't know where.

That's the short story.   But we actually build things here as well as population of the PCBs and testing etc.

There was a video I made about 8 years ago of our production facility which was in another building at the time.

I think I saw your post ?  Was that in https://diysolarforum.com/  ?

boB

Yes, that was mine. There are a few people who are having a hard time accepting that stuff claiming to be entirely made in the USA in reality isn't. Not Midnite Solar stuff as you have probably read. I feel comfortable saying you at Midnite Solar source the best parts you can for all the stuff you guys build, regardless of where it comes from. I just wanted to emphasize that the roots of Midnite Solar go way back and to the extent it can be manufactured here at home, it is. Compared to most other PV related stuff you aren't going to find other equipment that comes closer to being purely made in the USA.
 boB, I'm not comfortable quoting you here without your blessing, so I ask. May I quote a few lines in a response over at DIY Solar Forum. If not I understand.

Mike aka Littleharbor 2
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric

littleharbor2

I just caught your reply over at DIY, Disregard the last few lines from my above reply.
Thanks for the transparency.
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric