Kid load current

Started by dgd, March 21, 2016, 07:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

I know this should be obvious but...
The Kid display of output current can show negative or positive current, positive when current is going to charge battery and negative when current is taken from battery to drive a load connected to the load terminals?
Or have I got this wrong and the only way to power a load is from input power to the Kid, e.g. PV array
and NOT the battery hence the current shown on the display will always be positive and only show actual current going out to charge the battery?
Or does the displayed output current just show total being made by the Kid whether it is going to the battery or load?
confused..

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Kent3

Hi dgd

It depends, on my Kid weather there is enough solar to power the load.
If there is enough current coming in to satisfy the load requirements and the battery bank the display from the WBjr will show positive current going to the battery. If the current coming in from solar can not satisfy the load and battery bank requirements the WBjr display screen will show a negative current coming from the battery.

Kent
6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user

BobWhite

I agree with Kent.

Quote from: Kent3 on March 21, 2016, 09:29:42 PM
Hi dgd

It depends, on my Kid weather there is enough solar to power the load.
If there is enough current coming in to satisfy the load requirements and the battery bank the display from the WBjr will show positive current going to the battery. If the current coming in from solar can not satisfy the load and battery bank requirements the WBjr display screen will show a negative current coming from the battery.

Kent

I ran mine today with heavy and light loads to confirm .
Walt
12-Lifeline AGM 8D's
10-Lifeline AGM GPL 31T
16- Diehard GC2
4-Classic 3-150 and 1-200
1-Classic Lite
2-BRATS
5wiz bang Jrs, , 2- Samlex-24Volt
5- 235 MX60s
10- Sharp 198
10 Solar world 345 XL Mono

dgd

Thanks for the replies guys.
Sort of makes sense when I look at the Kid display but the data I'm getting from the serial port for battery current does not always add up to what I think it should be.  Sometimes it appears nonsense and other times is almost what I expect. More research needed..
???
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Highflyer

DGD,

I agree with the others, but I might be able to explain it a little differently. 

When I am making more power than the loads require, the WBjr will show the amount of power going into the batteries.  The statue page show the amount of power being captured by the Kid lets say 20 amps.  If the WBjr says 5 amps is going into the batteries, your load and the peripherals are getting the other 15 amps.  Conversely,  If the WBjr says  negative amps then the load is using the status captured amps Plus the amps flowing from the battery.

One example I have is a heater for the barn.  The Kid can be capturing +20 amps, but the heater needs 50 amps so the WBjr will show -30 amps.

Hope this help. 

Brian

The one thing is the one thing