Multi-Access to Classics by more than one instance.

Started by WizBandit, August 19, 2012, 12:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WizBandit

Seems only one Client-Server like connection allowed. I was trying to test the port forwarding with a friend over in Orlando and he was getting errors. I just installed the Local App on my desktop and pow, same errors. I closed down Local App on my laptop and bingo, it worked on the desktop.

Needs to have access from say like up to 5 local apps. As an installer, trying to get into a remote location to troubleshoot while the owner has a Local App running gathering data would be frustrating. I know this issue will be a mute point when MyMidnite.com goes live but until then...

boB

Will forward this to the smart guys, but hopefully there could be some kind of way to do this in the future if not one already.

Seems like it should be doable, even if the Classic itself can only have one connection at a time.

Actually, the Classic can have two connections right now.  One,  you are using where the Local App or
something connects to it directly by modbus over TCP/IP and the other where the Classic calls into
the MyMidnite server.  That won't help you in this situation though, unfortunately.

Will be thinking of that "some kinda way".

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: boB on August 19, 2012, 03:11:42 PM

Seems like it should be doable, even if the Classic itself can only have one connection at a time.

Will be thinking of that "some kinda way".

boB

Hi boB
Just wondering if the 'way' has been thought about any more  ::)   Even just two connections from local apps  would be real useful.
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

mtdoc

While the Midnite guys are working on this have you considered running VNC server software on the local computer?  You could then access the local app from multiple sites remotely.  Could also use remote desktop.
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

boB

VNC server ?  interesting idea, and you may be able to have two separate computers looking at the same thing that way...
But probably not independent control.

If a web server actually gets working and put into the Classic as well as the remote modbus over TCP/IP connection, you might just get your two connections at once, although those two connections will be different types.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mtdoc

I run UltraVNC Server (freeware) on a low power netbook that always has the local app running. I then access that via internet with Remoter VNC on my iPhone, Chicken of the VNC on my Mac laptop or via the free danielwebb Web based VNC viewer which you can access from any computer with a web browser and Java.  I can definetly access the local app this way from multiple devices at the same time, although only one device at a time can control the VNC server desktop.
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

boB

Quote from: mtdoc on October 30, 2012, 01:03:21 AM
I run UltraVNC Server (freeware) on a low power netbook that always has the local app running. I then access that via internet with Remoter VNC on my iPhone, Chicken of the VNC on my Mac laptop or via the free danielwebb Web based VNC viewer which you can access from any computer with a web browser and Java.  I can definetly access the local app this way from multiple devices at the same time, although only one device at a time can control the VNC server desktop.

These options are great to have !  More tricks up the sleeve !

Thanks for the ideas, mtdoc !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: mtdoc on October 30, 2012, 01:03:21 AM

Mtdoc
Thanks for this info, I loaded realVNC and was easy to remote control a laptop running the local app.
Now to get the iPhone/iPad  VNC client and sort out access thru my VPN.  New project now to get VNC on.  my Raspberry Pi which I managed to get modbus lib almost talking to c150 (need the updated modbus info from midnitesolar).
Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

Quote from: dgd on October 30, 2012, 04:33:36 AM
(need the updated modbus info from midnitesolar).
Dgd

OK...   Will step that documentation up higher on the list of things to get done !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me