How about a lower scaled Classic?

Started by Tinman, November 07, 2011, 12:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinman

There is probably a market for a controller in the 30-45 amp range (input side). Probably don't need more than 80 volts either, for smaller systems like mobile. I know, lots of opinions that smaller systems don't benefit that much from MPPT and all that. Maybe something with a smaller enclosure to boot.

Not sure about the cost to manufacture vs sell ratio but I bet there is a pent up market for something like that. 

laszlo

There is a smaller footprint Midnite MPPT controller in the works called  "El Nino"  - the child, according to this forum. Mario is reportedly working on it.  Would be nice to get a status on that.

I want to echo you comments about the market for smaller MPPT, and I also feel this is an area -- high quality power electronics -- where we can compete and win over the Chinese, who are basically eliminating the North American PV manufacturers this year.

Having said that, there are a couple smaller MPPT controllers on the market you can currently buy -- BZ 500, 500 watt, and  Solar Converters mppt controllers. I have a BZ 500 that I used for a few weeks when my Outback MX60 broke about 5 yeasr ago and it works great. But, watt for watt, the large controllers are a much better value and they provide safety features and versatility that the cheap mppt controllers cannot provide. For example, arc fault protection.
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

dapdan

There is one good mppt like that on the market already and it is doing quite good from all reports. It is the Rogue built by a guy named Marc. You can find an exhaustive thread on the NAWS forum on his controller. It is a 30Amp Mppt controller that operates up to 75v I think. It does 12v and 24v batteries and by all account quite good and reliable. I believe he has a second generation controller in the works. So if  midnite were to bring to market a similar sized controller around the same price I would definitely be interested in a couple. I have one of the morningstars Mppt-15 but that can only handle a maximum of two large panels, a controller double that size is definitely worth looking IMHO.

Cheers...
Damani

nigel

Also when considering the new El Nino can you consider a basic version with JEEP mentality so that custumers who want a unit to do its job without fancy displays ethernet can have the option at a lower price. One that can be prgrammed by an installer to suit the customers array battery type  and then leave him a with simple led display and maybe a equalise button, plus a fully singing and dancing version as well.

Nigel

Halfcrazy

Nigel
That is a very good point and we are doing just that with the Classic right now. We have a new display that has a few LEDs and a EQ button. This is the Classic lite it will have Ethernet though. I will pass this request on for the Kid as well.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time