New member introductions (READ THIS FIRST)

Started by Halfcrazy, November 24, 2010, 07:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renouvelles

Hi,

I am Olivier (with an extra i). I habe been involved in RE systems for about 20 years now. I am based in France so you may have to excuse my English from time to time. I run a company called www.krugwind.com since 2002 and we have installed about 50 standalone RE systems and about 150 small wind turbines so far.

Olivier

kandaris

Hi All,

Its not my real name of course but my friends call me "th' Scroad" or just "scroad" for short (more on that later...) anyway I'm a professional software developer of about 20 years, and now the chief architect of a our company's core product.  I don't know a damn thing about electrical engineering or alternative power, but I've always been curious in the back of my mind over the years.  I live in Central Phoenix Arizona with my 10 year old son and a couple of ne'er-do-well housemates, and I'm trying to sort out the in's and outs of how a PV system works and what would be best setup for me here in Phoenix.  Please be patient with me as I'm a noob, but I tend to catch on pretty fast. :)  I'm interested in setting up a system that handles my household needs most of the time and if there is surplus, that feeds the grid so I get credit from the power company.  I'd also like to make it capable of using a generator switch over or for power assist during high usage periods (This is more for my own edification more than real practicality but I'd just like to know how to do it.)  Glad to be on the forum and looking forward to hearing from you all.

Queen

Hello everybody,,, :)
Here am going to introduce myself to all the members...who have having good time here.....
Well what would i say about me am Frost from new york...water street.....doing and learning more and more about SEO.....
I hope that i'll have a very good time with you guys as long as i'll be here with you.
Thanks.

VTSolarGuy

Hi All,

Real name is Brad, and I operate a small solar business in northern Vermont.  Mostly small stuff, up to 5kW, and about 1/2 off-grid.  I also do quite a lot with solar thermal, including both domestic water ad heating systems.  Been in the solar biz for only about 5 years, and while I plan to become an old fart, only my feet stink, even when I do get sweaty!

About to move into a timber frame and straw bale house that's been in the works for over 3 years.  Eventual plan is to get as close to zero energy as we can -- solar heat (a big challange), solar hot water, and GT PV with battery back-up -- as soon as cash flow allows.  BTW:  not much cash flow in small-scale solar these days, so that will probably be next summer!

I appreciate all the smart folks who are willing to share their hard-won experience, and whenever I can contribute something useful, I'll try to pay it forward.

Clear skies,

Brad

Mike M

Hi Folks!

My name is Mike, (yes, I know, another one :P) and I use a lot of Midnite products in the course of my work.  I design, sell, and build battery backup systems, often incorporating solar and other renewable power sources.  I deal with grid-tied, off-grid, grid tied with battery backup, and AC coupled systems.  I'm joining this forum because a lot of you folks run into some of the same technical challenges I do, and I wanted to bounce ideas off of you, get ideas, and give my opinions occasionally. I'd love to give advice when I can. Cheers!

Gin

Hello,
Gin from TX. I am a total solar newbie but Midnite Solar products came highly recommended by someone I trust. Look forward to learning more and getting our DIY setup up and running.

Joe

Hello All,
I guess you can call me Joe, Seven miles and a ton of money from Grid power we live in eastern Oregon.  Nine years back My wife Connie and I placed a cabin on some acreage that we have in the pine timber. I started with 6 180w evergreen panals mx60 charge controller 4 12volt battries and zantrex inverter. It did not take long to change this out for a higher voltage system. Two years ago we built a new house on the same property. We purchased 8 210w Sanyo panals on a wattsum tracker, midnight combinner box, Flex max 80 charge controller, 6048zantrex inverter and 16 s530 Battries. Our house well is 520 foot deep with the water level at 430' down. I installed a ballance flow system to reduce the high torqe to start the pump. This past summer we were hit by lightning 15' from our the room that houses our solar equipment and right directly over the wires from the panals. It totaly fried everything. In the proccess of replacing things I decided to replace the flexmax 80 with the classic 250.

I would like to give a plug to the folks at midnight solar it is so nice to call and talk with a person that designed the product  you are working with.
                                                                                                 Joe   

Tinman

Hi folks. My installation is a motor coach with a real working panel tracking system on the roof. No, this one doesn't move by time nor look like it's going to rip the roof off any minute.

Just for example, I harvest between 1.9 and 2.0 KW per day with the tracker and 3 100 watt panels. So say my Classic 150 so I can prove it. I'm getting ready to put a second on the roof because you can never have too much powah.

I have the entire system, including panels to under 120 pounds. So far the rig has been down what can only be described as the worst wash board road in the United States. A wrong turn onto a national Park campsite and 3 miles of shaking so bad I though the cabinets would fall off insures it is strong. After that more than 3000 miles over just about any kind of road you can imagine, high winds, blasts from big rigs, rain, some light ice and everything is like it was built.

I put the Classic in since having the best is what it is all about. I am the 1% of RVers. Just kidding but why go with something else.

jimmylarry

Thank you for another fantastic posting. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing thank all of you.

rosebudd

Hi All,

My name is Steve and I live in New Brunswick, Canada.
Since retiring, I have been enjoying solar projects, as a fun hobby. Started with solar air heaters, then solar hot water and now beginning pv. Just purchased a Classic 150 to support ~ 800 watts of pv  generation and hopefully growing.

Lots to learn........anyone using Linux in the group?

regards,
sb
MS Classic 150, ~1.6kw pv, 500 ah , OB3524, ListerSL1/3kwgenAC .....so far
"retirement projects"

annicoconut

Hi There,
My name is angela and I am living in the Dominican Republic. As we have a lot of sun here we thought it would be a good idea to have a solar system for energy,.... we forgot, that we don't have to many experienced people here to install it, ... :-) that's what made me come to this forum. My knowledge until now. Sun in, electricity out, ... but it looks like our system doesn't work that way ...... so I am here to learn more :-)
Saludos from the Caribbean to all of you!!
anni

phonetic

Hi,
Names Frank, from Melbourne Australia, Owner of 2 PV systems, my home have a 3.04kW Grid tie (16x190w, 3.3 kW SMA) and for my weekender have a 2.28kW stand alone system:

12 of 190 w Tianwei Monos
Midnite Classic 150  charge reg (Replaced Outback MX60)
8 of 600 amp hour Surrette flooded cell battery bank (24 volt  4x2)
2400w SEA 24v Inverter Charger

I updated my charge regulator to  the classic 150 due to its Internet interfacing, and best bang for buck feautures, will in future use a Wireless 3G route at my weekender location and monitor the classic 150

Regards
Frank
Home:
3.04kW Grid Tie.
Weekender:
6.08kW Off Grid. DC & AC coupled
32 of 190W (12+12 Array DC) (8 Array AC)
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic Lite 150
1.5KW AC coupled Grid Inverter
8 of 600 amp hour Surrette S600 flooded cell battery bank 24 volt 1200 amphour
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger, Mate 2.

michael k

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 24, 2010, 07:09:37 PMMy name is Ryan and I live off grid in central Maine ;D

Hi "you r Halfcrazy" - my name is "michael" and am addicted to solar too.

Am familiar with Maine & curious - do you have any ROADS?

Have 6, to start, Astronergy CHSM 6610P-240 (yet to be) roof installed "E/W Landscape" on Unirac's SolarMount standard rail with an Outback's GTVFX3648 & FlexMax80 cc. I LIKE ur E-Panels, have one ON ORDER today, still working on how to put this all TOGETHER and, in meantime, have new power-saw chain as trees close to house need to come down!

This season is best time to install, the Winter Solstice this year is Dec 22nd, can u even c the SUN at all (? ? as it's very low here Atlanta, hope it comes back)

tednruthy

My name is Ted and I travel about 6 months a year with my wife Ruthy in our 38 ft motor coach.  I just this past week finished installing 4 - 220W panels on the roof and a Classic 150 controller.  I installed flat with no tilt.  I got 3.0KW yesterday here in Quartzsite AZ.  I chose the Midnight controller for it's internet capability.  I work from my coach 3 days a week over the internet and wanted to be able to interface the controller and be able to monitor it while the coach is in storage, out in the sun of course.  I read a LOT about off grid solar on RV's before I started the install but I am still learning.  Thanks for the help I received on this forum and thanks in advance for the help I will need in the future.  Ted  8)

littlebird

Hi group,
  Pete (and Sonya) in central Virginia (37/35yo). I currently am a self employed Excavation Contractor, but come from a background of component level electronics, PLC, motor controls, robotics, PC repair ect.. from a family of residential house painters in central west coast of FL. Sonya is in the Specialty Coffee industry, with roots in FL as well. As the construction market is down, I am currently seeking certs to move toward PVSolar Sales and Installation services.

While always a solar fan, just recently has it become affordable for us. I "bought in" 3kw of panels, and just put in order for i guess its about 6-7kw more. We currently live with just 1.2kw(6 panels) out to work, and have all of our 120v circuits off grid, with the ability to go on grid should we get a couple days of overcast. All 220v stuff is still on grid.

I am all the while, also, personally building our future home just some miles from here. It will be a modest/contemporary 1700sq for us 2 + child, on 12 acre. Excellent/Pretty Darn Good solar "window", and im not sure of my want to grid-tie. With the obvious surplus above our raw electrical needs, i had always wanted to mess with DC water/"storage media" heating, as well as agri-business, winter cropping, so, some extra, would never be a bad thing. Maybe an electric car? I'm a bit stretched thin at times, but as my wife reminds me, "I wouldnt have it any other way" ;-)

Way to go, MidNite!
Your product line looks like the stuff I was looking for all along!