Will changing a washer on MNSHUNT affect WBjr accuracy?

Started by finalman, August 03, 2015, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finalman

Just wondering If changing a washer on the charge controller side of the MNSHUNT will affect the Wiz Bang Jr output.

I ask this as the 4AWG cable lugs that I want to use are too small and collide with the big washers on the MNSHUNT. So I need to use a washer with a smaller outer diameter.

If it's OK what washer material is best to use brass, copper or steel?

Vic

Hi finalman,

IMO,  you should be fine using a Brass washer ...  but do not understand the collision of washer issue.

Are you using a busbar on the end of the MNSHUNT,  and is the collision point   ...   OR,  is it that you are trying to use Lugs for #4 AWG cable,  somehow,  under those large 3/8",  or 5/16"  bolts?

We cannot know weather you are using an e-panel,  or if you are rolling your own,  and,  you probably know that there is a busbar that CAN mount on one end of MNSHUNT  (and NOT on the Deltec Shunt).  It is possible that this might allow you to simply use the busbar screw to connect the stripped end of cable,  in lieu of Lugs,   perhaps ...

EDIT:  This busbar says that it can fit the MNSHUNT:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=211&productCatName=Busbars&productCat_ID=17&sortOrder=16&act=p

Think this is what I've seen in use before ...  got a number of Deltec Shunts a year or so ago,  I should buy a couple of MNSHUNTS,  just to see about this busbar option[end edit].

Guessing done for now.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

finalman

Quote from: Vic on August 03, 2015, 07:29:42 PM
but do not understand the collision of washer issue.

Basically the shunt washer it to large and extends over too far where the cable is secured in the lug.

Are you using a busbar on the end of the MNSHUNT,  and is the collision point   ...   OR,  is it that you are trying to use Lugs for #4 AWG cable,  somehow,  under those large 3/8",  or 5/16"  bolts?

Actually the MNSHUNT BUSBAR would solve the issue but I can seem to find them in Australia but It's only a small system and the options that the busbar would add would be overkill.

We cannot know weather you are using an e-panel,  or if you are rolling your own

Actually just going custom without e-panels.

As for the whole shunt issue I think I'll makeup short lengths of 35mm2 cables that will go from the shunt to power distribution poles (Singe Bolt Busbar). I was planning on running 4AWG wire from the charge controller to the shunt about 2ft in length but by extending the 35mm2 wires I'll solve both the lug issue and lower the cable voltage drop as well so I'll probably go that route now.

Thanks.

boB

Luckily the WB Jr. draws very little current, but a teeny bit from the Classic.

Assuming a negligible voltage drop across the washer for the WB Jr. powering current,
you are probably OK as is.

Vic explains things pretty well also, luckily for us !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me