Went from 2 to 3 solar panels: Now Stuck Resting: Classic 200 SL

Started by ahendren, May 18, 2021, 11:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahendren

I have a Midnite Classic 200 SL

Worked with a company to move my solar panels from the rear of my van to the front of my van. I was using two 200w solar panels (see attached) and removed one of them and replaced them with two 100w Renogy solar panels.

Also needed to extend the wires in order to accommodate the move.

Now my monitor is reading 0.1v and is stuck in "resting" the reason for resting is #5 but i'm not sure what that means. For some reason when the panels were disconnected it was saying 7.8 or 7.9v which is super confusing.

Would someone be willing to help me troubleshoot this or even jump on a Facetime video call to help me? Needing to have this figured out within a couple of days before leaving the state that installed the solar panels.

Parts used:

Panels - 2 100w Renogy Panels: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GF5JY35/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_VEQVHPPHQW604JTA9292
Solar Connector - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S8SBL4V/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_T1BK7JSVEPSN7AJKMKNV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Extension Cable - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V3L4FQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_7A51Z0ZZ8KQJAT1E7CF8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,

Adam Hendren

boB

There are a couple possibilities for that 0.1 volt reading.   One, and hopefully this is it, is that the PV positive and negative wires are reversed.

You made a change to the system so please check that polarity.

Could also be a simple as a pinched positive PV wire and connecting to negative or ground somewhere.

It is normal for the input voltage to go up when only the battery is connected to around 1/2 battery voltage.  By hearing it is going up to around 7 volts tells me you may have a 12V battery on that SL.  Is that right ?

Reason for Resting 5 is, I think, low light level which would be correct in this case.

Let us know what you find !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ahendren

I have 3 Relion RB100 12.8V 100Ah batteries

Since i'm a newbie, what does PV stand for?

What's the best way to check the polarity?

If you're open to it i'd love to video call to walk through some of these things and show you the settings of my solar controller.

If so shoot me a text and we can find a time at 763-691-4263

Vic

Hi Adam,  Welcome to the Forum.

PV=PhotoVoltaic (modules)=Solar panels.

ReasonForResting = 5    Too low power and Vbatt below set point for 90 seconds

In looking at your pic,  it looks like the Classic was seeing 19.2-ish volts input,  but was producing no power.   That is a bit of a blurrrr in the pic.

So,  looking at the pic of the interconnecting cables,  you probably have all of the PVs in parallel,  do you know if this is the case?

If you want some help via phone,  please call MN Solar Tech Support:
Technical Support
General Support
360.403.7207 Ext. 102
support@midnitesolar.com

More later,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

AHA !   Yes, removing that series panel dropped the input voltage too low for the Classic to turn on and charge the battery at that particular voltage.

The solar panel (PV) input  open circuit voltage (Voc) must be  at least  present battery voltage times 1/3 + 1.0V  (or was that -1.0V ?)

So for the first part, that would be 13.2V +  13.2 X 0.33 = 17.6 volts.  Your solar is actually higher than that even if it is +1.0 volt (18.6V)

But it is extremely close !

If the panels cool down slightly and it is still light out, you should see the PV input voltage go up slightly and then it might start up ?

In fact, maybe it WAS actually higher earlier in the morning and you just didn't see it ?

If you go to the LOGs for what we call minutely (hourly) you may actually be able to see if the Classic woke up earlier and you must missed it ?

You can see this by going to the main status menu and press the status button till you get to that display.  Then, pressing the UP arrow key should cycle through the data.  Look at a difference in PV input voltage or power level etc when the sun came up.   If it stayed on for like, 5 minutes, that difference should show up.

That's one thing to try...

Otherwise, add another panel in series even if temporary to verify this theory.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ahendren

Sorry for the confusion! The photo of my batteries and solar controller and wires and everything is actually old.

I WAS able to get on the phone with the company that originally installed my solar and FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

The new company that added the two panels accidentally reversed the polarity!

It was an easy/quick fix and I'm not rolling with energy :)

Appreciate everyone who was willing and able to help figure this out. Everything was fixed in less than 24hrs!!!

Vic

Great news and work,  Adam !   Travel safely,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!