BMS Low Temp Charging Cutoff vs. KID output to Battery

Started by mcneill78@windstream.net, January 27, 2024, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcneill78@windstream.net

I have used the Kid for 6 years now and it performed flawlessly in my DIY RV van charging the 2 x 100Ah AGM batteries in parallel via 2 x 100W panels in serial.  I upgraded to 2 x 100Ah LFP batteries and added another 100W panel.  Reconfigured the KID and the system is working fine.

My concern is when the BMS on the batteries blocks charging due to low temps (set at 32F) but the KID is trying to charge the batteries.  Is this a condition that will harm the KID?  If so, what are some solutions?

boB

Shouldn't hurt the Kid.

The Li  batteries are still powering the Kid but I'm not sure what happens with your particular Li batteries when the BMS says  "no charging, it is too cold"

There are some BMS's that can have a separate path from discharging and charging.  I think that in that case, the Kid will just power the loads if it brings the battery bus voltage above the battery's resting no-load voltage.

What kind of LFP battery are you using now ?  Maybe that company will say what happens to the BMS and battery bank in that case ?

Interested in what we have here :)

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mcneill78@windstream.net on January 27, 2024, 10:24:10 AMI have used the Kid for 6 years now and it performed flawlessly in my DIY RV van charging the 2 x 100Ah AGM batteries in parallel via 2 x 100W panels in serial.  I upgraded to 2 x 100Ah LFP batteries and added another 100W panel.  Reconfigured the KID and the system is working fine.

My concern is when the BMS on the batteries blocks charging due to low temps (set at 32F) but the KID is trying to charge the batteries.  Is this a condition that will harm the KID?  If so, what are some solutions?

You are okay - if bms doesn't charge that shouldn't hurt the Kid.
Many bms will shut off charging if it gets too cold but leave the discharging on.
But I don't think it will allow any power in from the Kid for loads until the battery warms up enough again .

Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable