My kid is acting up

Started by mondo, December 31, 2014, 07:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mondo

My kid has been working great until this morning when it started to click non stop.  The click is not as loud as the clicking of turning the input on or off but very similar, like a ticking.  The tick would stop when i turn the input off which ends with the normal sounding click and start again when i turn the input back on begining with the loud click then a non stop ticking.  I finally went to tech and did a reset to factory settings which stop all the ticking and all it normal now, except for one thing.  Lcd eco mode doesnt work.  The lcd screen is constantly on now.  Anyone out there experience this?  I liked using eco mode to save that 1/3 of a watt because i like to stop all loads and check to see if my battery will stay at a constant voltage.  Not a big deal but how does lcd eco mode work one minute and not work after factory reset?

ClassicCrazy

Are you using the latest firmware ? 

Was it doing this when the panels just started to get light on them - like maybe the Kid was going between charge and resting - waking up in a low light condition and didn't know which way to settle out at ? 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mondo

When i reset to factory settings, while holding down the side arrow keys, a number of 174? was showing.  I forget the last digit but i am i guessing it is the latest firmware number?  I am not sure where else to check which firmware i have.  Yes, it was very early in the morning but was still dark when the ticking started.  I am familiar with the clicking sound of early mornings when the kid would click on and off as the sun rises.  This is totally different. The ticking was very fast compared to the normal clicking of past mornings.

Does your lcd eco mode work?  Mine used to work until i did the factory reset.  Now, when i save settings on eco lcd it just stays on forever like if the setting was on normal lcd.  If everyones eco lcd mode works, then something is wrong with my kid.  Maybe my kid needs to see a doctor?

I called midnite tech but it was very early in the morning so i left a message. 

ClassicCrazy

Go to menu keep going right until you see Tech then keep going down until you get to About Kid CC and the bootloader and firmware version show  - Mine says Bootloader 2.1  Firmware 1761
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Seems like I might remember there was some LCD lighting glitch in an older firmware version.  Look down a few posts to find 1761 Beta firmware if you don't have it loaded already.
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mondo

My kid is not a beta unit.  Would this matter, to use beta firmware for a non beta kid?

mondo

My kid doesnt show 'about kid cc'. The lowest i go, it shows firmware update so i pressed that.  Next screen shows 'bootloader 2.3 firmware update' in all caps.  I cant get out of this screen. 

mondo

I already have firmware 1742 which is the latest version on the website.  How do i get out of the firmware update screen?  I dont have access to a windows or linux computer. 

ClassicCrazy

If you press Status button won't that take you out of menu ?  If not you can always restart the Kid - disconnect battery power.

I don't know what to tell you about the firmware update if you don't have windows computer - that is what I have. All I need to do if I remember correctly is download firmware update, plug firmware update cord into computer, get into firmware update menu and folder shows up on computer as a drive, then I just drag the firmware update file into that folder and it updates Kid - detailed directions for doing this are available somewhere - in owners manual or on website . If you have a Mac computer I don't know anything about that if it is not documented.

Maybe someone else will be able to help you out with this.
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Firmware Update
To do a firmware update on the kid you will need the following:
- A laptop or PC with Windows XP/7/8/8.1 or Linux.
- A USB Mini-A cable (not included).
Procedure:

From owners manual - I see they do not mention Mac

http://www.midnitesolar.com/documents.php?productCat_ID=43&productCatName=Charge+Controllers+-+KID&model=MNKID-B%20or%20MNKID-W%20%28Standard%20Version%29&product_ID=530&act=
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mondo

Even if i wanted to update the firmware i cant because i already have the latest version, 1742.  Status button doesnt work.  I dont want to damage my kid by just unplugging it.  Is it safe to just disconnect the kid while in the update screen?

ClassicCrazy

you should be okay to restart your Kid - only way I see it could be messed up would be to restart it if it was in the middle of an update . You did not initiate or start any update.

This is info on newest Beta firmware
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=2124.0
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mondo

Thank you for the help classic crazy.  I will take this opportunity to reroute some wiring since i will need to power down the kid.  I will also see if i can get someone with a windows computer to help with firmware update to the beta 1761.  I am excited.

ClassicCrazy

A DC breaker is always nice to have to switch things on or off. But you can also pull the blade fuse that is on the face of the Kid .  I think you will appreciate the most recent beta firmware update.
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mondo

1761 fixed lcd eco mode.  Thanks classic crazy. 

Now, to learn about the new settings.