Doubled down on FX's..

Started by TomW, May 20, 2013, 03:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

Quote from: SolarMusher on August 08, 2013, 11:36:40 AM

Is there a way to update the old one without shipping it to Outback or do we have to re-board to have the last version?
Thanks
Erik

Erik;

In case you did not know, you can replace the board set quite easily with boards from Outback. They even have a good set of youtube videos showing the complete process.  Just open it up and swap the boards. Leaves only the case and transformer original.

Not sure which board has the firmware on it but they will do an out of warranty full board swap for relatively cheap. Was around $500 my last set. They get more $$ up front but refund it when you return the old boards.Not sure if it would be worthwhile to swap for updated firmware?

I see DB beat me in on the post but here it is anyway..

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dbcollen

The firmware is on the "control" board

SolarMusher

Quote from: TomW on August 08, 2013, 11:50:25 AM
Quote from: SolarMusher on August 08, 2013, 11:36:40 AM

Is there a way to update the old one without shipping it to Outback or do we have to re-board to have the last version?
Thanks
Erik

Erik;

In case you did not know, you can replace the board set quite easily with boards from Outback. They even have a good set of youtube videos showing the complete process.  Just open it up and swap the boards. Leaves only the case and transformer original.

Not sure which board has the firmware on it but they will do an out of warranty full board swap for relatively cheap. Was around $500 my last set. They get more $$ up front but refund it when you return the old boards.Not sure if it would be worthwhile to swap for updated firmware?

I see DB beat me in on the post but here it is anyway..

Tom
Tom,
I know, I did it two times and at the end... bought a Magnum and keep the VFX as spare, don't want to stay without electricity for three weeks.
I agree with you as I'm not sure that it would be worthwhile, I will mount it as it is and check first how dual VFX work.
Always good to learn from others experience.
Thanks DB for the info, I'll know which board to change, just in case I'd need it.
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

phonetic

Not dealing with split phase, what size is the transformer, and do you have issues with balance across the 2 phases ??
Home:
3.04kW Grid Tie.
Weekender:
6.08kW Off Grid. DC & AC coupled
32 of 190W (12+12 Array DC) (8 Array AC)
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic Lite 150
1.5KW AC coupled Grid Inverter
8 of 600 amp hour Surrette S600 flooded cell battery bank 24 volt 1200 amphour
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger, Mate 2.

TomW

Quote from: phonetic on August 18, 2013, 01:40:30 AM
Not dealing with split phase, what size is the transformer, and do you have issues with balance across the 2 phases ??

I do have split phase so all I can tell you is this snippet from the manual:

The X-240 can also be installed as an isolation transformer with a rating of 2000 watts

I was assured it can handle more than my system can produce the way I have it installed. It never actually sees the full load as I have it.It is rated 6KVA according to Outback. You can see the specs on their website product pages.

The PSX-240 which is the transformer in a case with terminal blocks and breakers.  It seems to balance loads perfectly and it can start our 240 VAC submersible well pump (from a single 120 VAC inverter)  without kicking on the slave inverter unless other substantial loads are present. It runs 2 freezers a fridge, a satellite TV receiver and Christmas tree light night lites 24/7 so it seldom has "no load" and the Mate thinks it has a 100 watt load always.

The PSX-240 has become noisey under certain heavy loads over time. I contacted Outback Tech Support via email a couple weeks ago about it but they must not read their email. Guess I will have to call them to get some input on what may be the cause of it.

Happy with it so far and hope the noise is a simple thing like a loose screw not vibrating windings that could lead to failure. Time will tell.

Hope that helps

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies