Maintaining boat batteries over the winter

Started by Onabargeinfrance, August 17, 2014, 08:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onabargeinfrance

I have a KIDD controller, six ePVL-68 panels (68 watts, 12v, 4.1 amps each) and four 220Ah lead/acid batteries on an old barge in France, where I live summers. I'll be home in the States six months for the winter. I want to maintain the batteries over the winter. Will the KIDD go into a maintenance mode or should I adjust something so the batteries don't overcharge? Should I cover most of the panels and leave just a small section exposed for the winter? Any other suggestions for maintaining the batteries unattended for six months?

ClassicCrazy

I would think that the regular settings should do it - it will go into float soon each day after it tops off anything lost by self discharge . Make sure the water in each cell is topped off to correct levels. If the Kid had auto equalize I would say maybe setting equalize to the absorb voltage for an extended time would help stir up the electrolyte but I think at present time equalize is only manually triggered.  And make sure the temperature compensation probe is sensing battery temp . But for six months you will probably be okay with settings you already have as long as they are what the manufacturer of batteries call for.  The worst thing would be if your float voltage was too high and somehow boiled out the electrolyte .

What voltage settings and times do you have for it now ?   

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

TomW

I was thinking the same as Classic Crazy.

Fill electrolyte before you leave and use proper settings for your batteries and it should be fine. I would disconnect everything not absolutely necessary in the system. Just batteries and The Kid.

With no equalization it should just keep them at float by replacing the power used by The Kid plus self discharge.  It should not use much water either.

I have a largish 850 AH 24 volt sealed Lead Acid bank I use a Kid and 300 watts of solar to keep it topped off with no loads on it as a backup and The Kid does this perfectly. It is at float volts early each day
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Westbranch

You could also set the Absorb down a few tenrths of a volt too if you are worried , but no lower than the Float value..  just make sure you are fully charged , maybe an short EQ a week before you leave.

ps measure and record your SGs too
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

vtmaps

If there are absolutely no loads, my preference would be to do a weekly bulk/absorb cycle.  I wouldn't even bother with a daily float.  I know the Classic can be set to skip charging days, but I'm not sure about the Kid.

One other thing really helps a lot:  Keep them as cold as possible.  Freezing temps will not harm the battery (as long as it is reasonably well charged).

--vtMaps