Updating Classic 150 FirmWare

Started by Vic, July 10, 2012, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I had the same problem as dgd.. It was driving me nuts!  I followed the PDF to a T.  The driver showed it had installed correctly for the USB device since it showed the "USB CDC serial port emulation (COM8) in the device manager window.. but when I had tried to update the firmware it gave the CRC error.    The only thing I did to fix it was keep doing the procedure over and over including rebooting my VMWare instance of Vista.  Between the CRC error and comm port in use it eventually worked.   

Where's our OS X firmware updater app?  ;D

boB

Quote from: David on July 15, 2012, 06:20:53 PM

It's coming actually !!   That method will be done through Ethernet  TCP/IP.
It's the MNGP update that cannot be done through that method quite yet.

Sorry you're having so much trouble but glad it finally worked for you.

I am getting a new laptop with the Redmond 7 virus pro 64 bit in a week or so, so
I should be able to have more trouble like some others (like you) are having and maybe
it will get fixed.

I will feel your pain, so to speak.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

">I am getting a new laptop with the Redmond 7 virus pro 64 bit in a week or so, so
I should be able to have more trouble like some others (like you) are having and maybe
it will get fixed.

boB <"

Funny.  I DO like XP Pro better than 7,  but 7 HE was on my Laptop as delivered,  so am running it for updates

boB,  as you might guess,  MidNite has,  by far,  the BEST support anywhere.  Thank you,  and the Team,  very much for taking the time and effort for the direct support,  and caring about your customers.  This is quite unique.  Many companies could not care less once the sale is complete.  One in the solar biz does come to mind in this regard.  Thanks  for all the help,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dgd

Quote from: boB on July 15, 2012, 06:27:19 PM
I am getting a new laptop with the Redmond 7 virus pro 64 bit in a week or so, so
it will get fixed.

boB

I actually find it hard to believe that such an excellent product as the Classic has tech support gurus that still compute in that awful XP os. W7 and soon W8 will be the default os on most new computers so is that not where computing support from Midnite - firmware updates etc., should be?  :)
Although I would be happy with an rs232 serial port so my trusty cpm1.4 Altair could do business with the classic
Incidentally I noticed a USB driver port update for the USB controller my laptop uses came from MS
in a set of W7 updates received a few days ago. I will try my asus laptop/W7 again with firmware d/l when I get my new Classic 250 next week.

And yes Vic, kudos to Midnite, support is excellent and after reading these forums I decided to go Classic. Too many other alt energy suppliers just ignore reported problems.

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

Actually windows 7 works fine.  have 4 computers running it and they all worked flawlessly. I think it is more of a pc by pc basis as to the ones that give grief. I have grown to like windows 7 (As much as one can like it) better than XP it does however take more memory to get the job done.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

epsgunner

Quote from: boB on July 15, 2012, 06:27:19 PM
Quote from: David on July 15, 2012, 06:20:53 PM

It's coming actually !!   That method will be done through Ethernet  TCP/IP.
It's the MNGP update that cannot be done through that method quite yet.

Sorry you're having so much trouble but glad it finally worked for you.

it will get fixed.

boB

I'd be happy if I could do the firmware for the Classic thru the network TCP/IP jack..

Would save lots of headaches.. (IMHO)

Going to play tommorrow with some USB cables again and try to do the update..

My Windows XP HE is not co-operating..

I gotta drag a 12v battery in the house for this as I don't have any 12v power adaptors laying here to scavage..

Halfcrazy

Firmware upgrades over Ethernet is coming actually. Andrew has had the Classic portion working the MNGP is a little tougher but he will get it.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

epsgunner

Well if I can't get my USB thing resolved I may need an email with that fix..

Not worried about the MNGP as much as the firmware for the  main unit.

dgd

Quote from: epsgunner on July 18, 2012, 09:39:59 PM
Well if I can't get my USB thing resolved I may need an email with that fix..

Not worried about the MNGP as much as the firmware for the  main unit.

I think they both need to  at be updated at same time. My mngp display went all black until it was updated.
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Vic

Updated the second of the pair of Classic CCs yesterday,  and all went smoothly and quickly.  Works great.  Had to reset the time,  but all else was retained.

Stating the obvious about supporting other platforms for updating Classics,  Windoze still must have 80+% of the und-user market,  so  seems that that should be first in line IMHO.  Am sure that the Mac is by far the best machine to use,  but I'm cheap and LOVE to Hate  Windoze and MS ... who would I hate if not MS/Windoze ...  OH,  yea,  that huge multi-national Electrical/Solar Co!
Thnaks for the support.  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

epsgunner

Figured it out.. my error..

Missed the part about turning off the Classic after downloading and installing the Com port sim.. then setting the port to Com 8..

Opening the GUI, selecting the item you want to update..  THEN turn on the Classic battery breaker..   :o

I was opening the GUI after I powered on the Classic in error..

With the GUI open and then hitting the 150 button it would then load the DOS loader and give me the CRC error..

All good now.. both the Classic 150 and MNGP have been updated..   8)

So for others having issues.. make sure you load the GUI up 1st then power on the Classic..

Also make sure you see the 100% & and the next line that says FINISHED before X'ing out the DOS loader screen..

stephendv

Also had the CRC error and after many repeats eventually it went in.  Was doing the update from XP on VMware on Macbook pro so I wasn't really expecting plain sailing  :) 
Don't know if it was a fluke but having the device manager window open while doing the update may have helped.

EDIT: Just updated the firmware again and left the device manager window open this time.  Firmware went in without a single CRC error  :)