Powered on for 1st time, no display

Started by bbbuddy, September 09, 2012, 12:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Yes, what  Mario says is correct.  The local app runs through the ethernet not the USB.  Actually, the USB is used for more than just updating
firmware, but mainly for that.

The Classic may have to have a static IP rather than DHCP set up so I'm not exactly sure how the PC/Laptop needs to be set up for
that to work first time.

As for the Classic running at 24 Volts, you know, the MNGP doesn't have to be displaying anything for the auto battery voltage to work.
Maybe what happened was that you pressed the ENTER button a few times and went kind of "blindly" through the quick-set setup
screens and if so, it would pick SOLAR and 24V battery ( it knows) and then default absorb/float voltages and default time/date (2000).
Maybe ?  What probably happened was that even though solder joints were not good, it worked until UPS or whoever jiggled it
around in shipping.

We'll see if maybe Andrew or Mario or Ryan or someone pipes up about the ethernet setup thing until you get the replacement.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

bbbuddy

Quote from: boB on September 12, 2012, 11:18:34 PM

Yes, what  Mario says is correct.  The local app runs through the ethernet not the USB.  Actually, the USB is used for more than just updating
firmware, but mainly for that.

The Classic may have to have a static IP rather than DHCP set up so I'm not exactly sure how the PC/Laptop needs to be set up for
that to work first time.

As for the Classic running at 24 Volts, you know, the MNGP doesn't have to be displaying anything for the auto battery voltage to work.
Maybe what happened was that you pressed the ENTER button a few times and went kind of "blindly" through the quick-set setup
screens and if so, it would pick SOLAR and 24V battery ( it knows) and then default absorb/float voltages and default time/date (2000).

Maybe ?  What probably happened was that even though solder joints were not good, it worked until UPS or whoever jiggled it
around in shipping. 

We'll see if maybe Andrew or Mario or Ryan or someone pipes up about the ethernet setup thing until you get the replacement.

boB

Ethernet isn't going to help til I get a router for out there, whereas everyone has USB.. Wonder why it can't be made to work both ways in the future.

You know, there is ZERO solder showing through where Mike says it should, just the 5 tiny holes surrounded by gold, upper right of the LCD screen.  So I don't really think joints came loose...was never soldered.

UPS should deliver by the end of tomorrow (we're at the end of the line).

Halfcrazy

Those tiny 5 holes are not supposed to be soldered. boB the Engineer is looking at one here. We will see what comes up when you get the new one?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

bbbuddy

Isn't that odd.  Those are the ones Mike said should have been. :-\

Yes, new one should "tell the tale".  Looking forward to getting it. 

bbbuddy

Ok, new MNGP finally got here.

Mike was kind enough to include another short cable.
I opened it up to hook up the speaker wire and take out the battery paper, and sure enough there ARE solder joints where the first one had none.

Of the five tiny holes in a row just above and to the right of the LCD screen, the first and fourth holes have solder coming through.

I'll hook it up in the morning, it's way dark out there right now, I'd rather be able to see well.  Will report back then. :D

bbbuddy

Hooked up the new MNGP first with the new short cable, and it lit right up.  Hooked it up with our longer cable, and it lit right up!  So, it was a problem with the original MNGP all along.

Running good now!