Classic 150 lite outside...

Started by SgtPepper, January 31, 2014, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtPepper

I want to mount my classic lite outside within a large veranda area which is completely dry all of the time.
Will the outside elements be detrimental to the unit?
I was considering making a cover to go over it. I'd still have to put in vents so was wondering if a cover is even necessary?

Westbranch

Electronic goods like a clean environment...  I would build a solid, plywood?,  enclosure with screens to minimize the dust and bugs....
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

Hi Sgt.,

Humidity,  dust,   and high ambient temperatures all can have a negative effect on electronic items.

CCs do a lot of work,  and need cool temperatures.  From the name of your city,  seems like it could be humid.  And at times humid air can collect under soffits,  veranda etc.

If there was a close indoor space,  that was not a frequently inhabited room,  that might be better.  Power electronics DO make some noise,  so trying to avoid hot rooms,  and those where humans spend much time would be nice.

Nothing needs to be perfect,   just do your best.   Opinions,   Good Luck with the installation.    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

TomW

I think the Classics come with a vent cover to close it up along with some screened plugs for the knockouts.

Not sure what ambient temperatures it can handle? Closing  up the vent will derate it for power handling.

Just from memory.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

TomW

Manual says the Classic is rated -40c to 40c and the current capacity seems to be derated by 10% or so at the upper temperature limit. Does not mention humidity but I think they put a decent conformal coating on them so humidity might or might not affect it much but humid air cannot pull off heat as well as dryer air.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

SgtPepper

Cheers guys, got it sorted with a well vented box top and bottom that hinges open. I used the wire from our sieve for the vents.

Robin

Robin Gudgel

SgtPepper

Threw out the box I built, thought it was a fire hazard being made from wood. I had an old aluminium flight case just the right size that I transformed into a housing for the Classic. I drilled 15mm holes all around the sides and bottom for venting. It works extremely well.

TomW

That looks like it will work!

Personally, I would screen the holes because there are lots of beasties around here that would find that case a snug little home and set up housekeeping. No fun opening a box to work on the system only to find some critter with lots of angry offspring with stingers living in it.

Good luck with it.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

SgtPepper

Cheers Tom, yep I intend to screen the holes, just need to get hold of some wire mesh, i'll keep it monitored and clean until then.

Vic

Hi SgtPepper,

Looks nice and clean.

As Tom had noted earlier in this Thread,  ventilation is very important.

Keep a close eye on the Current Limiting,  and the Temps inside the Classic,  which shows the temps of the important Classic parts,  to the extent they are available for the Lite ...

Cool is good for electronics.   Looks nice!    Opinions,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

zoneblue

Classics make quite a bit of heat. If the box was made of anything else, i might have said it would need a bit more ventilation, but yeah being alumunium should conduct heat away quite nicely. And hey it is outside... Very creative!
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

SgtPepper

Cheers guys, will keep an eye on temps Vic.

My thoughts also Zoneblue, the case itself becomes a part of the classic casing so will help to transfer the heat away. Don't we call it "Kiwi ingenuity." I just hope it works.