Generator charging and equalization

Started by camelback75, December 19, 2012, 09:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camelback75

Just moved in and panels are covered with snow. 2 questions. My Magnum ME-RC remote is telling me the batteries are going through normal charging routine- bulk, absorb and float, but the Classic stays on resting? Also, Can I equalize with my generator? Thanks!   

Halfcrazy

The Classic will say Resting until IT sees enough power to charge from the PV.

You can equalize from the generator. Look in the manual for the ME-RC50 to confirm but my memory tells me that after the Bulk charge on the Magnum you push and hold the Charge button to start an EQ.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

SolarMusher

With your ME-RC you can start EQ only on float mode or if your batteries are already full when you start the gen and it goes to float immediatly => above 26V or 52V.
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

djohnm

Quote from: SolarMusher on December 19, 2012, 12:44:20 PM
With your ME-RC you can start EQ only on float mode or if your batteries are already full when you start the gen and it goes to float immediatly => above 26V or 52V.
Erik

And I believe that's also only if you have the ME-RC set for a minimal Absorb time. Otherwise, the Magnum may indeed drop out of  Bulk almost immediately but it will still stay in Absorb for however long it has been instructed until it will go into Float (and thus be able to Equalize).

-Dave
2.15 kW (10 Evergreen ES-A-215), Magnum MS4024, Classic 150, 6 Trojan IND29-4V @ 1570AH. Off grid since 1975.

SolarMusher

If we are talking about the ME-RC50, I believe it doesn't allow a minimum absorb time, there is only a fixed length Absorb time or maybe in a new rev.
The ME-ARC gives more flexibility to end absorb: current, time, etc...  ;)
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

camelback75

Thanks everybody! I put in equalize after float and it worked fine.