Classic lite update = no love

Started by Robcurtis, February 13, 2013, 06:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robcurtis

I have a new classic lite 150 for a small off grid system.

I have been trying to get the thing to network for several days.

Today I called tech support after finding that the crossover cable I just bought for way to much money did not help.

After about an hour on the phone with tech support I am told it won't work and I need to use a router.

Well i actually found an old router and hooked it up and it worked! for about 30 seconds then nothing.

So I called back and was told to update the firmware.

I successfully updated it and it still doesn't work.  >:(

I am a little irritated to say the least.

I am hoping that this can be resolved with as little moving around as possible as my back is killing me from all of the messing around today.

dgd

What have you got it connected to? What IP numbers are you using on you network and classic?
Are you using a pc or laptop on your network and running the local app you downloaded from the Midnite web site?

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Robcurtis

You know what, I'm just going to use tech phone support.

I have been over and over and over this and I pretty tired of it.

boB

Rob, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with this.

Network problems can really be a pain some times, I know first hand, myself.

I don't suppose you have another computer you could try just to see if
there might be some problem with your network card ??

I know that a lot of the newer computer network circuitry can
do the cross-over connection automatically, but not sure how
many can not.

Hopefully someone else around Midnite has an idea.  I have forwarded on this
thread to a couple of our engineers but unluckily, sometimes these network
issues are very hard to figure out.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: Robcurtis on February 14, 2013, 02:42:58 AM
You know what, I'm just going to use tech phone support.

I have been over and over and over this and I pretty tired of it.

OK, but after reading where you said you connected a router and it worked for 30 seconds , my first thoughts were an IP number problem, probably a duplicate.
Anyway I hope you get  it fixed with tech support.  :)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

TomW

I will just toss out there that I have seen certain devices that just do not play well on a network.

Hubs that do not recognize computers or other web connected devices, devices that refuse to talk to each other but will talk to other devices, and so on. Even weird stuff like a chunk of fine lint on a connector killing the connection.

Lots of cheap network hardware out there. New does NOT mean "works".

Whenever I have network trouble I always eliminate the DHCP server by giving devices a static IP. It is more typing but eliminates one possible point of failure. I check my router for what it sees as "in use" IP numbers to be sure there are no conflicts.

One gotcha I have seen is folks with little network experience give the same IP to 2 devices, especially when trying to run a 2 device network.

Just some thoughts.

Networking is relatively simple but it has to be done correctly and tiny details will bite you on the arse! And it can be darned hard to sort out over the internet or a phone because there are lots of things that can muck it up that an experienced person just knows and a novice does not.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

Make sure that the Classic Lite dip-switches are set for DHCP OFF.

The DHCP may be changing addresses on you.  STATIC is best for now.

Just note the dip switch static IP address and use that on your remote application.
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: boB on February 14, 2013, 01:34:34 PM

Make sure that the Classic Lite dip-switches are set for DHCP OFF.

The DHCP may be changing addresses on you.  STATIC is best for now.

Just note the dip switch static IP address and use that on your remote application.
boB

boB,

Just a suggestion..
Judging by the number of people who have had networking issues and the new Classic owners, such as Rob, who struggle with networking, might it not be a good idea to have a 'Networking the Classic' document to assist those who are not network savvy?
I'm thinking of something that states the the bleeding obvious and assuming zero knowledge users.
I know its not a MN problem and you are not in the networking education business BUT user frustration will always be directed to MN and the Classic.
And there is nothing better than a few real examples with IP numbers, netmask info, router  IPsetup , what DHCP is, what STATIC is,  cabling info etc..

dgd

Westbranch

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

plongson

I'm betting he will never see a word written here...long gone, never to return and frustrated from the sound of it.

Remember all dumb-@^# network questions I had for about 2 weeks struggling with the MN App?? I finally figured it out and actually became somewhat network savvy in the process. I STUDIED everything networking I could and got up to speed. Some folks just don't wann'a spend the time to learn.

Getting pissed and ranting at the forum is never a good thing.

All the administrators here should get a gold star...

Paul
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Quote from: plongson on February 14, 2013, 07:39:43 PM
I'm betting he will never see a word written here...long gone, never to return and frustrated from the sound of it.
Paul

Paul;

Probably true.

Sadly, many here are fully willing to drag folks through the process, kicking and screaming if necessary.  ;D

Networking made me crazy when I more or less taught myself when I set up my Dial up ISP business back before everyone and his sister offered internet and nobody knew what the internet was.  So I understand networking frustration.

Hope he sorts it out.

Tom

EDit: It was unclear to me what "tech support" he contacted?
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

I think he talked with Mike here at the factory.  Mike is very good with network stuff but there is always
something that one doesn't know and can learn.

This network stuff can be very complicated and frustrating.  There is a lot going on and a lot that
can go wrong.... go wrong....   go wrong....

The more information and well done videos etc, the better too, but there is only so much one can
soak in before having to re-run the video or re-read a document.

This is one reason why My Midnite is going to be very important.  It will get around having to
know what your Classic's IP address is and how to port forward and how to set up a static
IP address on your Classic etc.. etc...    My Midnite is getting very close and was looking
good.

The networking code in the Classic is working well lately except for DHCP wanting to change
addresses too often.  That shouldn't affect My Midnite though as the Classic calls into
our server instead of you having to call into the Classic itself.

This stuff just isn't easy.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

I know little about the networking stuff, so it was just curiosity that took me to the videos recently, seems that I saw the first ones and thought they were pretty good...

I do not know how one can get everyone with a network problem to watch the relevant vids...??  maybe a sticky so its at the top with a

"Watch these if you have any problem with connecting to the Classic!!"
or something similar...

'2 cents'
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

dgd

Quote from: Westbranch on February 14, 2013, 09:25:44 PM
I know little about the networking stuff, so it was just curiosity that took me to the videos recently, seems that I saw the first ones and thought they were pretty good...

I do not know how one can get everyone with a network problem to watch the relevant vids...??  maybe a sticky so its at the top with a

"Watch these if you have any problem with connecting to the Classic!!"
or something similar...

'2 cents'

..include the video on the dvd packaged with each Classic with a reference in the included manual 'Trouble shooting' to it if networking problems occur.
dgd

boB

Quote from: dgd on February 14, 2013, 10:16:28 PM

..include the video on the dvd packaged with each Classic with a reference in the included manual 'Trouble shooting' to it if networking problems occur.
dgd

Yes !

That should be a no brainer...   If they aren't already being distributed on our DVDs.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me