Networked but not showing on status

Started by SolarWind, February 23, 2013, 07:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarWind

I've networked my 150 PV and 200 Wind controllers and they are accessible by each others MNGP but only the 200 Wind controller is showing on the local status panel. I've done the VMM and dumped the com.midnite folder in the library and turned on auto detect classics etc. but still only the Wind is showing up. Any suggestions??

dgd

Have you connected each of them via their ethernet ports to your network - with different IP numbers on each classic?
Or do you mean you have connected them to each other via in internal connectors?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

SolarWind

Hi dgd - I networked them to each other. Only one is connected to the network. Are you suggesting each of them also needs to be connected to the ethernet hub?

dgd

yes. The monitoring program expects each Classic to be IP connected.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

SolarWind

Aw schnuks! I thought there was a way to do this through the internal networking as the MNGP on one can view the other just by changing the network address. I guess I'll have to try and find another spot on the router.

dgd

Yes its neat the way the MNGP can display other Classics,  the IP connection via ethernet does not route through to other Classics.
But you never know, MN are always feature  improving the Classic and it may do that some day  ;)

dgd

Westbranch

dag nabit... there goes a couple more amps...

I was hoping that I could run a 'Lite' and the 150 and have a very low power pc (Pi?)  poll both  Cl & LITE to log the daily power production and use.
Now it looks like there will be one more parasitic load... (or loads?) to power the router(s)... when we are away or there...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

SolarWind

OK. I've connected the second Classic with it's own ethernet cable. I'm still not seeing it in the status panel. It may be something simple or not. I made sure DHCP was enabled, rebooted the router, and even did the VMM again. It's more like a MMM though (Mork Mind Meld) because it doesn't retain any of the custom settings and I'm going nutz reprogramming them again and again. Before I start getting deeper into the network which consists of  Classics>Switch>Wireless Router>Mac I thought I'd see if there's something obvious I've missed.

boB

There has been a DHCP problem in the Classics' networking code that has just been fixed an waiting to
be released...

For now, please try setting the NET  menu's  IP mode to STATIC and pick a good number.  Maybe,
let DHCP pick a number and THEN set it to STATIC and press ENTER to save it and make it stick.

But then again, sometimes we are told that we should pick an IP address that is outside of the
router's DHCP address giving range (that range is usually adjustable or displayable somewhere
in the router setup menus)

I did not think it was possible, but unless I was dreaming, I think I heard that it will be possible
to read/write multiple Classics over the telephone cable network by using only one Ethernet
cable.  That would be great.   I would not expect that connection to be as reliable as each
Classic having its own separate TCP/IP Ethernet connection to the router though.
OK, so maybe the Ethernet hasn't been as reliable as it should be either but I think
you will find this next release is much better.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Lya72

Hi,

If you have a smartphone (Android or Iphone) and a Wifi Access Point, try the following Application :

FING

When your smartphone is connected on the network via Wifi, it will discover all the connected peripherals on your Network.

Very easy to use and very handy to find the currents IP address, MAC Address, if the peripheral is connected...

And you can get the scan result by mail for backup need.

Yann
1 Classic 200, 4 SILLIA panels 240W in 2 strings of 2, ie 960Watts and 60.8 Volts, 4 MIDAC Batteries 6V 240Ah, ie 24V bank (acid batteries)

Westbranch

Fing, interesting. found this on web site...

Fing is not only a free but feature-packed networking utility app for Android and iOS devices: it's a portmanteau term combining Find and Ping, two of the app's capabilities.

Description
Born from the ashes of Look@LAN Network Monitor, Fing is the ultimate toolkit for network management:
* network discovery
* service scan (TCP port scan)
* ping
* traceroute
* DNS lookup
* Wake on LAN
* Fingbox (sync, backup, merge, monitor, notifications)
* TCP connection tester
* MAC address and vendor gathering
* customizable host names and icons
* connectivity detection
* geolocation
* Integrated launch of third-party Apps for SSH, Telnet, FTP, FTPS, SFTP, SCP, HTTP, HTTPS, SAMBA

Available on: Linux, Mac OS, Windows, Android, iPhone/iPod/iPad, Kindle Fire, Cisco Cius.

seems to be an off shoot of PING on a pc

CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

SolarWind

Thanks Yann! That Fing helped immensely. Finally got it working.

boB I tried Static mode but no luck. Switched the cables between the Classics and got the other one working so then I changed the apparently bad cable but still no luck. Wiggled the cables and moved them around then did a Gangam Style rain dance and now it's working - on DHCP. Fingers (wrists) crossed.

Westbranch

Quote from: boB on February 24, 2013, 01:27:06 AM

I did not think it was possible, but unless I was dreaming, I think I heard that it will be possible
to read/write multiple Classics over the telephone cable network by using only one Ethernet
cable.  That would be great.   I would not expect that connection to be as reliable as each
Classic having its own separate TCP/IP Ethernet connection to the router though.
OK, so maybe the Ethernet hasn't been as reliable as it should be either but I think
you will find this next release is much better.

boB

boB. I spoke to a friend (who ran an ISP service for ~20 years, started in the days of dialup)  about you thought, and he said it should work fine, not high speed, would just need some software to do it, since all the hardware is there and connected...

would sure simplify setup & polling  of multiple Classics

dgd

It's called SLIP (serial line IP) popular in the days of dial up connections. Ethernet tcpIP via Ethernet port into one classic then slIP between classics...

Dgd

boB

Quote from: Westbranch on February 24, 2013, 10:58:45 PM
boB. I spoke to a friend (who ran an ISP service for ~20 years, started in the days of dialup)  about you thought, and he said it should work fine, not high speed, would just need some software to do it, since all the hardware is there and connected...

would sure simplify setup & polling  of multiple Classics

Well, of course it is "possible"...   Just not sure if it makes sense in the case of Classics.

That won't happen soon though.   It will work better for now by using a router and multiple jacks
or switch or wifi and wifi bridge on each classic and connect via Ethernet.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me