News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

EQ

Started by SM-Viper, January 13, 2016, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM-Viper

Hello all,

First, sorry to post this here, but I wasn't sure exactly where else to put it, so here goes.

I would like to EQ my (2) 215ah 6v Deka batteries in series (12v system) for the first time. I have had them for a while and, well, admittedly i'm just afraid of them :-[.  EQ right now would be a good thing from what I have read so far, and they are not loaded much at all on a regular basis.  They do go through one complete charge cycle every day.  So, my questions are these:

1.) Is it okay to start a manual EQ at 15v after todays charge cycle?
2.) Do I need to loosen the caps on the batteries to allow the gas to escape more freely?
3.) What time limit should I give it? 120min? 60min?
4.) How often should I EQ my batteries.
5.) What are the risks, or am I reading way too much into this?

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful help and advice!

-Sean
12v Off grid backup system and "playground"
(4) 245 watt Solar World panels 2x2
(2) 6v Deka 215 AH golf cart batteries series
(1) Kid CC
(1) MNDC125 DC Disconnect, all 2/0 wire
wbjr and 500A shunt all breakers
(1) MNPV3 combiner box.

Vic

Hi Sean,

1.  Yes,  it is generally good to begin an EQ after a full charge.  However,  to me,  15 Volts might be a bit too low for Flooded batteries  --  those Deka batteries are Flooded aren't they?

2. Leave the caps on the batteries,  and tight,  unless the caps are HydroCaps (the ones with a catalyst),  in which case,  they should be removed.

3. Normal EQs are monitored,  and continue about 30 minutes beyond the point when the SGs stop rising.  You should have a Hydrometer to monitor the EQ progress.

4. Normally,  Flooded batteries are EQed when the variation in SG readings between all cells exceeds a certain amount,  as normally specified by the battery manufacturer.

5.  The primary risks are that Hydrogen gas is produced during Absorb and EQ,  also,  there is usually a bit of electrolyte mist generated during EQ on most Flooded batteries.   EQing batteries causes some additional plate erosion.   But failing to EQ when needed  is much harder on batteries than is doing an EQ,  when needed.

In general,  follow the manufacturer's recommendations on Charge and EQ parameters.

My opinions,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

SM-Viper

Thanks Vic for your usual prompt and informative reply.

Quote2. Leave the caps on the batteries,  and tight,  unless the caps are HydroCaps (the ones with a catalyst),  in which case,  they should be removed.

I have the "spin" type caps, I assume these are NOT HydroCaps.

Quote3. Normal EQs are monitored,  and continue about 30 minutes beyond the point when the SGs stop rising.  You should have a Hydrometer to monitor the EQ progress.

I don't have a hygrometer right now, (bad me), but I will get one. Does this mean, (which I think it does), removing the caps and checking the SG on each of the cells throughout the EQ process?

** If I just run an EQ cycle in good sun today for 60min, can that hurt, help, or probably have no effect? Hopefully I will be able to notch this EQ part of the system on my belt soon and will know how and when to use it in the future.

Thanks!
-Sean
(1) Kid CC
(1) MNPV3 combiner box.

ClassicCrazy

East Penn Deka has setpoints and info on their website - attached is a copy.
The caps on your battery that came with it are not hydrocaps
You should be okay with one hour equalize.

What do you have your regular charging setpoints at ? Do you use ending amps to stop Absorb cycle ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Normally,  one would identify several Pilot Cells  --  these are usually the cells in the battery with the lowest SGs (there are usually one or two laggards).  If all of your cells are very close to each other in SG,  just identify two that are easy to access,  and use those.

Running an EQ,  even without your Hydrometer should be fine.  Many manufacturers recommend doing a Commissioning EQ initially on a new battery bank.

IMO,  the EQ voltage should be Temperature Compensated,  and at the low end of any voltage range that Deka recommends.

Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

ClassicCrazy

Vic ,
What is the reason you have to open the hydrocaps ?
A friend of mine had to replace his because they got gummed up over the years with black residue . Is that the reason or is it because the catalyst gets worn out  ? Or they just can't vent the volume of gas during equalize ?

I have never opened up mine - never thought of it.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

SM-Viper

Thanks for the replies Vic and Larry.

QuoteWhat do you have your regular charging setpoints at ? Do you use ending amps to stop Absorb cycle ?

Absorb: 14.4
   Float: 13.8
      EQ: 15.0
       EA: 2.4

Quote1Minimum charge voltage limited to 35°C (95°F), Maximum charge voltage at 15°C (59°F)

Thanks also Larry for providing that document. I do think it's interesting that there is a limit on the Temp Compensated voltage at 59c.  As I understand it, there is no way to do that with The Kid or The Classic that I'm aware of.  What that means to me is that when the temperature gets colder than 59c, technically you will be overcharging the batteries a bit.  Oh well.

-Sean
(1) Kid CC
(1) MNPV3 combiner box.

Vic

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 14, 2016, 07:54:52 AM
Vic ,
What is the reason you have to open the hydrocaps ?
A friend of mine had to replace his because they got gummed up over the years with black residue . Is that the reason or is it because the catalyst gets worn out  ? Or they just can't vent the volume of gas during equalize ?

I have never opened up mine - never thought of it.
Larry

Hi Larry,

The HydroCaps do recombine the Hydrogen and Oxygen into water,  inside the cap:
http://www.r-charge.net/Lead-Acid-Battery-Cap-Hydro-Caps-For-T105-and-L-16_p_134.html

During an  EQ,  much more gas is liberated,  this can cause the HydroCaps to overheat,  and does consume a lot of the catalyst,  which is the expensive wear part of the cap.   So,  it is said,  that these caps should be removed during an EQ.

The Watermisers appear to be have small plastic spheres inside the cap to attempt to condense some of the electrolyte vapor,  allowing some of it to possibly drain back into the cell,  but on the batteries here,  this appears to not work so well.

I have never used HydroCaps,  however.

FWIW,   Vic

Vic

Hi Sean,

The Classic has the ability to Limit the range of temperature compensated voltage,  in the Limits Menu (IIRC).

The Kid in use here is running older Firmware,  so I cannot sat if the Kid also has this voltage range Limiting.

Vic

SM-Viper

Good enough. Thanks Vic.  I've started the EQ process and it is running with temperature compensation. Everything seems fine. I guess I'm still a bit intimidated by these batteries.  I've got this image in my mind of them exploding all over the place, (due to my lack of experience, of course).  This really isn't the kind of thing you can go to the local hardware store and ask about, (or any other store for that matter).  Which is why I'm so greatful for this forum and people like you to help! :) :)

-Sean

PS - Just out of curiosity, besides letting the fluid level drop too far below the plates, or overcharging these batteries way beyond the max charge current, what would cause a catastrophic explosive type failure of these kind of batteries?  (and besides sparks while charging)
(1) Kid CC
(1) MNPV3 combiner box.

Vic

Quote from: SM-Viper on January 14, 2016, 12:47:45 PM
-Sean

PS - Just out of curiosity, besides letting the fluid level drop too far below the plates, or overcharging these batteries way beyond the max charge current, what would cause a catastrophic explosive type failure of these kind of batteries?  (and besides sparks while charging)

Hi Sean,

Yes,  sparks while charging,  during Absorb and especially in EQ could,  possibly cause an explosion ...

BUT,  while Hydrogen is very explosive in a wide range of concentrations,  it is also very,  very light,  compared to air.

So it "wants"  to rapidly escape,  which reduces the likelihood of an explosion.

If  charging and EQing Flooded batteries were very risky,  one would hear and read of numerous explosions/fires,  etc.    But this does not seem to be the case.

If you are careful,  and all of the battery connections,  and other wire connections are tight in the power room,  then,  there is really very little to worry about,  IMO.

It might be a good idea for you to use a face shield  --  you know the large transparent plastic shield thing  --  when you are measuring SGs,  filling cells with Distilled Water,  etc,  just for added protection.

Asking questions is good,  and being careful when dealing with batteries is very good.
Batteries seem to love attention.  Paying attention to them is about the best thing that you can do for them.

Have Fun!   Vic

ClassicCrazy

Vic ,
The water misers or hydrocaps I have - forget which ones - flip open so no need to remove them.
But if you did that on equalize you sure would have an acid mess all over  your batteries.  I haven't seen a problem leaving them on but maybe they won't last as long . Guess I could email the manufacturer.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Yeah Sean - I wouldn't worry about those batteries exploding unless you make some kind of spark right next to them when they are bubbling away charging.  As Vic said , with the millions of these batteries out there it is seldom you hear of explosions . Often when you do it is when someone is jumping a battery on a vehicle and makes a spark with the cables.

You should be more cautious about shorting them out either with metal tools or something metal dropping across the terminals .

It is a good idea to keep some baking soda around just in case you ever have some kind of acid spill - you can dump that on to neutralize the acid.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable