Can a Classic Lite..be a slave off a Classic Charge Reg

Started by phonetic, July 25, 2012, 03:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonetic

Im looking to upgrade my Off Grid system looking at adding a 2nd charge reg..can a Classic Lite be slaved off a Classic 150, and use the Classic as a display for both charge regs ?
Regards
Frank
Home:
3.04kW Grid Tie.
Weekender:
6.08kW Off Grid. DC & AC coupled
32 of 190W (12+12 Array DC) (8 Array AC)
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic Lite 150
1.5KW AC coupled Grid Inverter
8 of 600 amp hour Surrette S600 flooded cell battery bank 24 volt 1200 amphour
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger, Mate 2.

boB

Quote from: phonetic on July 25, 2012, 03:39:09 AM
Im looking to upgrade my Off Grid system looking at adding a 2nd charge reg..can a Classic Lite be slaved off a Classic 150, and use the Classic as a display for both charge regs ?
Regards
Frank

Hi Phrank  (that's a combination of phonetic and Frank of course)

Yes, it can.  Right now, with the existing software, your Classic 150 can connect and display and control one other Classic through
the network connection.   Soon, it will be able to master/slave with many Classics, but two units has been possible for quite a while now.

There is a jumper (the left jumper out of the 4 jumpers behind the terminal block) where if you place it across both
pins, it changes the Classic to address 11 rather than modbus address 10.

Then, on the MNGP Remote (latest software), in main status, you hold down the left arrow key and tap the up arrow key,
it will take the address up one.   Hold the left arrow key and tap the down arrow key will bring it down 1 address.
With the latest MNGP software, It sometimes takes a couple of seconds  for the MNGP to acknowledge the other Classic,
but it comes up and looks the same as if you had the MNGP plugged into that Classic Lite.

Phone cable plugs into the SLAVE jack of your 150 and into the MASTER jack of the Lite.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

phonetic

I placed an order with DC Solutions in Melbourne AU, hope to get the ClassicLite 150 2 weeks time :)
Home:
3.04kW Grid Tie.
Weekender:
6.08kW Off Grid. DC & AC coupled
32 of 190W (12+12 Array DC) (8 Array AC)
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic Lite 150
1.5KW AC coupled Grid Inverter
8 of 600 amp hour Surrette S600 flooded cell battery bank 24 volt 1200 amphour
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger, Mate 2.

Tom

I want to slave one of my Classic 200s to the other. I wanted to clarify the process.

There is a jumper (the left jumper out of the 4 jumpers behind the terminal block) where if you place it across both
pins, it changes the Classic to address 11 rather than modbus address 10.

Then, on the MNGP Remote (latest software), in main status, you hold down the left arrow key and tap the up arrow key,
it will take the address up one.   Hold the left arrow key and tap the down arrow key will bring it down 1 address.
With the latest MNGP software, It sometimes takes a couple of seconds  for the MNGP to acknowledge the other Classic,
but it comes up and looks the same as if you had the MNGP plugged into that Classic Lite.

Phone cable plugs into the SLAVE jack of your 150 and into the MASTER jack of the Lite.

Here's my understanding of how this works:
So I have Classic #1 (Master) and Classic #2 (Slave).
1. Put the jumper on to Classic #1.
2. Plug a phone cable into the SLAVE jack on #1, and the MASTER jack on #2.
3. Power up both classics
4. On #1, hold left arrow and tap the up arrow.
5. #1 should somehow acknowledge that it's controlling #2.

Step 5 is not happening for me. I note that you mention "through the network." Do the classics need to be connected to a network for this to work? Should I unplug the MNGP from classic #2? Are there more comprehensive directions for this somewhere?

Thanks,

Tom

Halfcrazy

The Jumper should be set on the slave Classic and it is the first Jumper on the Left above the blue terminal block

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Photowhit

Hi Half,

"5. #1 should somehow acknowledge that it's controlling #2."

My understanding is that the master>slave is not yet up and running, it does display the other controller though? So you can make changes in the setting for the 2nd controller, but they aren't working together as master and slave yet? (software in the works if boB doesn't escape the sealed room too often)
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

Tom

Photowhit - What you're saying makes sense with what I'm seeing now that I got the jumper right. The displays are carbon copies of each other, but the controllers don't seem to work together as master/slave.

Photowhit

Ryan or someone will come along and clarify the situation, I do believe they are working on a Master>Slave relationship. I may end up with 3 classic's all with different panel setup's feeding 1 battery bank.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

boB

Yes, you are correct.  We are working on the master slave networking.

You can still control 2 controllers with one MNGP if the master/slave  jacks are connected together but the two classics
won't actually play together quite yet.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me