Reason for Resting "9" on rectified input

Started by Tom, August 04, 2012, 10:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Quote from: Tom on August 06, 2012, 11:50:41 PM
With AC battery chargers I won't be able to do any charging unless the turbine output is greater than the rated wattage of the smallest charger.

Not sure what you mean by that, exactly, Tom.

Do you mean to run the turbine into the AC charger ?     Isn't your turbine  3-phase ???

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Tom
Who is the manufacturer and what is the model of the Hydro Turbine? I can not say I have ever seen a single phase AC turbine but I would be more than happy to do some research on my end?

Ryan

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Tom

My turbine is a Canyon Hydro 10KW pelton wheel unit with a single needle nozzle. It is in fact coupled to a single-phase Marathon Electric generator end. I'm not the one who bought and installed it - it's certainly a weird choice.
It's controlled by a Thompson and Howe Energy Systems "A2" load controller which keeps the output at exactly 60 HZ by selectively loading a bank of resistive heaters.

I am finding that when both of my Classics are connected, they fight each other and cannot hold onto the load. The only situation in which I can get any power is when I have only one classic turned on and I throttle the turbine down low enough that the classic can actually pull all of the load away from the "A2" load controller. The HZ, and therefore the voltage, drop slightly, and the Classic will charge happily. I think you're right that the input voltage is normally just too stable.

In another thread I was asking about setting up the Classics in a Master/Slave relationship, which might prevent the 'fighting' that they do now when they're both connected. In this way I might be able to turn the turbine up to about 5KW and still have the classics be able to take all of the load.

boB

Quote from: Tom on August 07, 2012, 03:51:27 PM
My turbine is a Canyon Hydro...

Canyon Industries ??   I believe those are build near here.
Deming Washington.

Washington, AC that is...

What is your battery charge set point and what are each Controller's voltage at ?
If the battery voltage in BULK or FLOAT MPPT is below the set point voltage just a
few tenths of a volt, they should both be working hard and together.

Are those 2 controllers in parallel on input and output ?  I may have had a brain fart and forgot how you
were using these.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me