Paralleling two arrays, etc

Started by bbbuddy, August 05, 2012, 12:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbbuddy

We have 10 Dupont 100w panels, 75 VMP, 100 VOC, 1.34 IMP paralleled from a combiner box 90ft into an FM60, 1000w total.

We bought 6 Suntech poly 200w panels to add.  They are 26.2 VMP, 33.4 VOC,  7.63 IMP, 1200 watts total.

We plan to mount these new panels as 2 series strings of 3, for 78.6VMP then into a new combiner box, and a new cable run 90 feet to a single controller, which "probably" will be a Classic 150, getting rid of the FM60.

1.  I used the Midnite string sizing tool on each panel type separately to get the "numbers" for each, and come out to .5 on one and .4 on the other for .9 percent total of the Classics required (and it says if you go over 1.2 to add another CC)

Is this the correct way to use the tool with two types of panels, one group all paralled and one type series/paralleled, when they will all be paralleled into one CC?

2.  How to use the setup wizard on the Classic for two types of panels, when it only asks for the info once...

3. Best way to combine (parallel) the two 90ft runs right before the Classic...
Is there a way to combine them inside the MNDC, or if not what's the easiest and cheapest way to do it outside the box, perhaps with an on/off switch as well...

Halfcrazy

You probably found the easiest way to try to match 2 different arrays. Should be fine capacity wise.

The Wizard does not need to know what panels you have it has nothing to do with charging batteries. In fact we have removed the Wizard in favor of a Quick Start that asks the 4 key questions to get you online.

I would combine these 2 arrays with each having there own breaker and then into the Classic. You could do this in the MNDC or it could be done outside the MNDC in another box.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

David

I have a similar predicament. I'm looking at adding 8 panels of KC315(49.2 Voc, 39.8 Vmp).  My current array has 5 KC120's and 5 KC130's (around 21.9 Voc per panel, 17.6 Vmp, 5 in series to a MX60).  I would like to use the same 230ft of copper 1/0 cable for the KC120/130's instead of running a separate one for the KC315's.  I would use a single Classic 250 for both arrays.    I would wire the 5 KC120 and 5 KC130 all in series for a Voc of around 218.  The KC315's would be wired 4 in series for a 196.8 Voc. Can I mix these two arrays together like this?  If I took out 1 KC120 it would match nearly exactly.. but then I would have a 10 panel mount with only 9 working panels?  I'd rather just leave the extra connected.  The temps drop to -40C occasionally and it is a 48V battery bank.

The KC120/130 panel would get more shade then the KC315 array.

David

bbbuddy

My understanding is to keep the VMP within 10% or less when paralleling, IMP within 10% if combining in series....
I went for under 5%...