testing out the beta Classic lithium firmware Rev: 3786

Started by ClassicCrazy, February 12, 2024, 09:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

Bob did some revisions to the Classic firmware to make it work better for lithium batteries.
There is also a new setting to shut off charging if the temperature drops too low , but I didn't test that feature.
Here is video of how the Classic 3786 did today charging 4 lithium batteries.
https://youtu.be/5kmSHjNC39I
It seemed to work well from what I saw today.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Thanks Larry.

Robin, I and the family are on a 10 day cruise to the Caribbean, celebrating the end to some health treatments I was getting, and so I cannot view any YouTube videos.  Dang IT !!!

Would love to see how well that worked for you.

I tested the cold temperature cut-off so I know that works fine.

Thank you !   I really appreciate it !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Muskoka

How does the low temp charge cutoff work for LiFePO4 with the new firmware, what temp is it based off of? Do I need to reconnect the Temp sensor to the battery so the battery temp is recorded, but leave it set to "Disabled" as far as temp compensation goes?
Off grid - 24v System - Eco Worthy LiFePO4 12V 280ah x2 - Classic Lite 150 with MNGP wBjr - 1540w solar -  12v System - Antra Power 12v 210ah LiFePO4 - Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 - 820w Solar - Honda / Firman generators

boB

Quote from: Muskoka on February 14, 2024, 06:09:46 AMHow does the low temp charge cutoff work for LiFePO4 with the new firmware, what temp is it based off of? Do I need to reconnect the Temp sensor to the battery so the battery temp is recorded, but leave it set to "Disabled" as far as temp compensation goes?

Yes, you got it.  The turn off low temperature setting is adjustable.  It will turn back on when the temperature comes back up to that setting plus something like 3 degrees C.

The higher temperature cut off is also settable in the same menu.   There is a new advanced menu item.

I think that when you choose Lithium batter type, the temperature compensation is already disabled.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Muskoka

Just noticed, since re-installing the temp sensor on my battery to enable the LiFeP04 low temp charge cut off, the total battery capacity amount reported by "Classic Monitor" android app is incorrect, it's always been spot on. I have the battery size correctly set in the Classic, 280ah, Temp Comp is disabled.

The android app is showing "Total Capacity" 256ah, "Remaining Capacity" 233ah, Net Charge -66ah. The current reported battery temp is 16.1c.

I've also installed the Local Status App on my computer, under Config the only screen I have access to is "Settings". The other tabs, "Basic", "Advanced", and "Tech" are greyed out.

Just did a test. Powered down the Classic, removed the temp sensor, fired it back up, and the android app shows the proper battery capacity again,  as set in the Classic, 280ah. Shut down the Classic, reconnected the temp sensor, and the battery capacity shows 256ah again. Something doesn't seem right in the new firmware with the temp compensation?

I'm leaving the temp sensor unplugged for now. More important to me to have an accurate count of what's left in the tank.
Off grid - 24v System - Eco Worthy LiFePO4 12V 280ah x2 - Classic Lite 150 with MNGP wBjr - 1540w solar -  12v System - Antra Power 12v 210ah LiFePO4 - Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 - 820w Solar - Honda / Firman generators

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Muskoka on February 17, 2024, 08:48:14 AMJust noticed, since re-installing the temp sensor on my battery to enable the LiFeP04 low temp charge cut off, the total battery capacity amount reported by "Classic Monitor" android app is incorrect, it's always been spot on. I have the battery size correctly set in the Classic, 280ah, Temp Comp is disabled.

The android app is showing "Total Capacity" 256ah, "Remaining Capacity" 233ah, Net Charge -66ah. The current reported battery temp is 16.1c.

I've also installed the Local Status App on my computer, under Config the only screen I have access to is "Settings". The other tabs, "Basic", "Advanced", and "Tech" are greyed out.

Just did a test. Powered down the Classic, removed the temp sensor, fired it back up, and the android app shows the proper battery capacity again,  as set in the Classic, 280ah. Shut down the Classic, reconnected the temp sensor, and the battery capacity shows 256ah again. Something doesn't seem right in the new firmware with the temp compensation?

I'm leaving the temp sensor unplugged for now. More important to me to have an accurate count of what's left in the tank.
You need to put your Classics serial number into the Local Status app before you can use it to program and that is why it is shown grayed out. Look in the first Config settings screen.
I think the Classic derates the battery capacity based on temperature of batteries - something that is a hold over from the lead acid.
I have found that the SOC reported by the Classic seems pretty reliable.
When you shut off your Classic and restarted it , you will now have to wait until it goes through a full cycle to show you the proper SOC again.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

I found out the Lithium setting cold temperature shut off works.
This morning I was trying to figure out why the Classic was not charging - it just said resting. Took me awhile to remember that the new Lithium profile has a low temperature charge shut off. I had the temp sensor installed but it was not in the heated battery box - just in the cold room.
I put the temp sensor down in the battery box so that should't happen again - plus we shouldn't be getting too much more cold weather like last nights 4 degree F low here.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: Muskoka on February 17, 2024, 08:48:14 AMJust noticed, since re-installing the temp sensor on my battery to enable the LiFeP04 low temp charge cut off, the total battery capacity amount reported by "Classic Monitor" android app is incorrect, it's always been spot on. I have the battery size correctly set in the Classic, 280ah, Temp Comp is disabled.

Muskoka,  I will check and make sure that battery temperature does not affect the battery capacity for lithium.  It should only do that for lead acid batteries.

This may be a bug. Thank you for noticing it.

Did you set the Classic for Lithium battery type after updating using the VMM on the MNGP ?

If not, reboot the Classic or MNGP and when the MidNite logo appears, hold down the LEFT & RIGHT ARROW keys until the selection for SOLAR-WIND-HYDRO appears.  After a few seconds you can continue the setup.

Just in case this wasn't done...

boB

Docked at Trinidad/Tobago today

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Muskoka

I did the VMM when I installed these new batteries a few days ago. Yes, the Classic was set to lithium.

Yesterday I only re-installed the temp sensor. It's reading the battery temp fine, just seems to be the battery capacity that's off. It is set to 280ah in the Whizbang Junior setup screen.

Was close to -20c last night with the wind chill here, think I'd rather be where you are. :D

boB

Muskoka, you were right on !   

The code is missing that one lockout when in lithium mode.

Appreciate the  feedback.

I may be able to get it uploaded in the next couple days.  Otherwise it
may be later next week.

It is 26 C right now outside just east of the top of Venezuela.  On our way to Grenada for tomorrow.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:287007/mmsi:248939000/imo:9451094/vessel:CELEBRITY_SILHOUETTE

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me