inverter

Started by dgd, November 28, 2014, 07:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Robin said elsewhere...

I'm sorry, but you need to put a real solar panel on your test system. You cannot test it without a real solar panel. We cannot devote anymore of Bob's time to this unless a real solar panel is connected. Bob is trying to work on an inverter design and this is not helping much.
Sorry for sounding grumpy, but we need Bob to be working on the inverter.

Re: inverter design  :)

Let it be consisting of several tens of Kgs of copper - i.e. some BIG toroids - therefore a low frequency design, not one of those lightweight squealing HF designs.
BIG and HEAVY makes it feel like ones getting value for money  :P

If there is going to be some intelligence apart from the needed embedded hardware control (using that same CPU s the Classic) then please include remote access via ethernet and USB/rs232 serial ports for setup and programming any maybe some short period reporting.

Dare I suggest keeping it free of Modbus or any other strangulating protocol

Some familiarity for display using the MNGP or better still an updated MNGP with a nice colour lcd display.  (what about the same for the Classic and the new stand alone battery monitor?)
and a proper tactile feel switch type keyboard instead of that spongy rubber button creepy thing we now have.

It has to look the part too, NOT a pressed steel box-like-container but keep that Classic case theme going. Maybe some design bringing in influences of that icon of brute power, Battersea power station in London (is there a USA equivalent?)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Westbranch

HMMMM, looks like it is now going to be Condos..  but the building looks like a pool table upside down... ::)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Quote from: dgd on November 28, 2014, 07:03:43 PM

Re: inverter design  :)

Let it be consisting of several tens of Kgs of copper - i.e. some BIG toroids - therefore a low frequency design, not one of those lightweight squealing HF designs.
BIG and HEAVY makes it feel like ones getting value for money  :P

If there is going to be some intelligence apart from the needed embedded hardware control (using that same CPU s the Classic) then please include remote access via ethernet and USB/rs232 serial ports for setup and programming any maybe some short period reporting.

Dare I suggest keeping it free of Modbus or any other strangulating protocol

Some familiarity for display using the MNGP or better still an updated MNGP with a nice colour lcd display.  (what about the same for the Classic and the new stand alone battery monitor?)
and a proper tactile feel switch type keyboard instead of that spongy rubber button creepy thing we now have.

It has to look the part too, NOT a pressed steel box-like-container but keep that Classic case theme going. Maybe some design bringing in influences of that icon of brute power, Battersea power station in London (is there a USA equivalent?)

dgd

dgd,
Sounds pretty much like an SMA Sunny Island ?

Those, you can already get

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

Weight 63kg. NZD6.5K. Sunny Island: 25W tare for the 5 and  6kW models is pretty fair alright. Be pretty hard to better that im guessing.

Theres some pretty good aussie inverters too  (latronics , selectronics), that are in a similar price/spec range.

I quite like Steccas 1kW toroid units that stack. You could actually create a 4kW inverter with 10W idle, but again the price is a factor at over 6K.

How to innovate in that market, thats the question. Maybe what dgd s getting at is we want a *midnite* product, because we like the fundamental way that you do business.

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

Quote from: zoneblue on December 05, 2014, 03:04:54 PM

How to innovate in that market, thats the question. Maybe what dgd s getting at is we want a *midnite* product, because we like the fundamental way that you do business.

Good points !  We're hoping for both of those to be true.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

Quote from: boB on December 06, 2014, 05:44:09 PM
Quote from: zoneblue on December 05, 2014, 03:04:54 PM

Good points !  We're hoping for both of those to be true.

boB

And I doubt those other brands have such a rabid and enthusiastic group of Followers and Beta testers.

Wiki Def'n Rabid: synonyms:   extreme, fanatical, overzealous, extremist, maniacal, passionate, fervent, overkeen, diehard, uncompromising ... especially the last synonym
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come