Optimal settings?

Started by kpudden, September 17, 2015, 11:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpudden

First post...solar "newbie", but I have "successfully" installed my system on my own and it is definitely working, although I'm quite sure I've not optimized my settings yet.  Lots of reading and countless differing opinions have me a bit perplexed in some regards, but with that I'm ready to dial in the system with what I hope to be the final settings (for now  :)).

My biggest concern is SOC or DOD, I don't want to replace my new batteries anytime soon.  Are SOC and DOD the same/interchangeable?  I see the Classic shows SOC, from what I read I don't want to ever go below 50%, preferably not lower than @70% to optimize AFM life.  How is this setting managed in the Classic?  I have a 10K gen. running propane to backup the system with an AGS module, prefer to have optimal use of solar vs. gen use while optimizing battery life.

How do I know my system outputs are optimized, what parameters within the Classic and/or the Inverter Controller (ME-ARC) should be adjusted?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

Offgrid at 10K ft in CO...3800 SqFt
Classic 150, 1K AstroEnergy PV, Four Star MS4024 4K at 24V; 8-VMAX AGM @450AH, 10K Honda Gen w/AGS

zoneblue

Quote from: kpudden on September 17, 2015, 11:17:07 AM
First post...solar "newbie", but I have "successfully" installed my system on my own and it is definitely working, although I'm quite sure I've not optimized my settings yet.  Lots of reading and countless differing opinions have me a bit perplexed in some regards, but with that I'm ready to dial in the system with what I hope to be the final settings (for now  :)).

We call this battery anxiety. It never really goes away with VRLA batteries, about the best you can do is this:
- batteries vary so dont rely on the default settings, get the manufacturers recomneded setpoints
- as a daily cycle 100- 75% SOC is what you want to aim for. Dips to 50% SOC for weather events are fine, but try to rarely go below that.
- be sure the batteries are terminating absorb at around 0.5% of rated capacity in amps. (AGM)
- be sure you are floating regularly ie at least once a week, preferably more often.
- try to learn something about lead acid battery chemistry, theres some good books on the subject
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Westbranch

here is a little 'light reading' for some background info on 'Charging VRLA Batteries'
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come