Oops. I might have cooked it.

Started by 2twisty, November 22, 2016, 09:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2twisty

Well, not completely.

Had an electrical storm recently and a close lightning strike took out many devices connected via ethernet.  Looks like the ethernet port on my Classic 150 is a casualty, as well. 

The Classic works just fine, but I have no ethernet connectivity. 

Is repair an option or am I stuck with no ethernet until I purchase a new Classic?

TomW

Not sure on the repair option.

I would ensure that everything else in the ethernet network is functioning, like hubs, router, etc before I declared The Classic ethernet port  dead.

Maybe try a different port on any equipment it is jacked into?

Try a direct connection to a computer via ethernet.

Just suggesting you exhaust all other possible causes before condemning The Classic.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

2twisty

Sadly, I've already done all those things. No link from the Classic.

Fortunately, everything else on the Classic is working.

In that storm, I had about 4 (or was it 5) ethernet ports on varied devices get killed.

I firmly blame the deaths on the fact that I had just installed a grounding rod and grounded the house.  It provided a path for the surge.

In the 2 years prior without a connected ground, we had many close strikes with zero damage.  Then, in the 6 months that I had the house grounded, we had 2 strikes fry equipment. I have since disconnected the ground.  Thankfully, I live in an area with no electrical code enforcement (middle of nowhere) so I can get by with it.

It's been a few months since the disconnect and a few close strikes since then with no additional damage.  Only time will tell if un-grounding was the right call.....

So, It looks like I may be sunk when it comes to Ethernet.  Boo.  Haven't checked the USB connection since then, but I bet it's still good.  In the strike, only ethernet ports were damaged. 

Westbranch

2Twisty said
"I firmly blame the deaths on the fact that I had just installed a grounding rod and grounded the house.  It provided a path for the surge."

Can you elaborate a bit on the suspected path.

I currently (pun ::)) have a similar ungrounded system and am preparing to ground it when the main array goes up next year... now I am wondering..... we are in a low lightning area, but this summer was a real boomer so to speak.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

2twisty

My data is entirely anecdotal.  So, please take it for what it's worth. There's not really much more to tell other than since grounding I had 2 events that caused hundreds of dollars of damage each.  Since removing the ground (and before grounding) I have had several close strikes (much like the ones that killed equipment) and had NO damage.

Please do your own research before deciding not to ground your system.  The grounding is often the only thing that can save you from electrocution.  I've been told that if you don't ground the system, you should make sure that ALL power in the house is GFI protected, either by replacing outlets or using GFI breakers.  I may (someday) replace the main breaker with a GFI so that the whole house is protected.  However, the GFI outlets I have here like to pop now and again for seemingly nothing, so I hope that the whole house GFI is not so sensitive.

I'd love to hear a well-reasoned explanation of why you MUST ground.  As it stands, my house it not unlike my cell phone.  It's a free-standing, battery-operated unit.  My cell phone doesn't spontaneously explode (I don't have a Note7), so why would my house?

Westbranch

the AC grounding , as I understand it, is to keep you from getting shocked, or more, etc from a short in the wiring of your house. GFI is a step up on the grounding, to protect you in the shower while shaving  :o  :-[ or the like with a much more sensitive sensor...

dc grounding  is, to me , to give lightning a (hopefully) better path to somewhere, other than your AC circuit, for dissipation.
To protect your DC equipment one needs to use SPD's at key points, that will clamp the max voltage at a level the equipment can survive... ie 150V, 300V or?

What I was asking for was placement of SPD's and where you think the path was. Like PV to MNDC/ Combiner to CC to inverter , etc etc etc...

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

2twisty

I believe that the grounding rod (and grounding wire) was the path.

Nothing on the DC side was damaged at all. Sadly, I don't have any SPDs, which I know I need to get.  So placement is something I've never researched.  Sorry.

CDN-VT

Quote from: 2twisty on November 22, 2016, 12:12:51 PM

I had 2 events that caused hundreds of dollars of damage each.

SPD's are good protection & I've been amazed at some of the systems I have seen & asked about .
They DO NOT want to hear about lack of SPD's or understand.

Now Overkill pix I'll post after the type is posted

VT
Posted the chain Link cover must cut out the harvest %.
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

Halfcrazy

Generally speaking when the Ethernet port is wiped out by lightning it is repairable BUT the cost can get close to the cost of a control board. Email me ryan@midnitesolar.com and we can discuss options
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

australsolarier

lightening protection:

for example in switzerland every building is required to have a lightening rod, or else the building will not be insured.

take the other extreme, australia, never seen a lightening rod here. and there is not a particular higher rate of lightening damage.

facit: the flashes know where the lightening rods and protections are and seek them out. must be more challenging to do damage on protected things.

i have lived at the edge of the escarpment and during thunder storms you sit right INSIDE the action. there was arcing between power points, the old kind telephones rung in rhythm with the flashes. and no damage to electronics. (mind you at the time there was not that much of electronics) sometimes the phone went out, but the problems was some km's away. the flashes also hit at random into the paddock, totally ignoring the trees.

just saying.

admittedly them midnite bulbish flash protection devices look really good.

russ_drinkwater

Here in aus where I live the entire hill behind the house is iron stone and is used as our "lightening rod" and we have never had
a strike during many a wild storm. Though trees hit with lightening splinter and explode ( water being super heated and vapourized I suspect), so being hit is not on my list of things to do! :o ;D
Little wonder electrical goods give up the ghost if hit.
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters