Under load voltage drop

Started by carmelo, July 15, 2021, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carmelo

Hi. I have a question.

I have a 48v Deka solar 370ah bank that consist of 8 6v batteries in series. The bank is farely new (5 months old).

Iam worried regarding a voltage drop that is showing in the Classic when under load. As an example:

Came home and voltage was showing 50.4 with a load of 10.8 amps. I shutdown the inverter (that powers all the house loads) and after 5 minutes, the voltage was at 51.3.

Is it considered "normal" a drop of 0.9v with such a small load? Or am I having a battery or wiring problem?

Specific gravity is good on all batteries. 1.27 to 1.28 when full.

ClassicCrazy

Depends on how your system is wired up.
There is always some voltage drop if you have a load.
But you could also get some voltage drop if your wiring is undersized between the batteries and inverter/Classic .
Also did you break in new your batteries with some deep cycles ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

carmelo

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on July 15, 2021, 10:22:56 PM

Also did you break in new your batteries with some deep cycles ?

Larry

Yes. They have gotten discharged to 60% a few times by now.

kitestrings

That sounds pretty normal to me.  You might check your battery manufacture's specs, but a fully charged battery, no load will be about 50.5-50.9V.  As soon as there is any load, it will drop some, and at a C/20 or C/30 rate you won't be much over nominal at 45-50% discharge.  There are some pretty handy charts - we have a set on the wall - that plot voltage vs. state of charge under charging, and under discharging.  Home Power archives would fetch them, or perhaps the battery university.

Sizing the wire is important to limit voltage drop as Larry says.  We aim for 2%; 5% is probably tolerable.  Best ~ks