Care of Trojan L16 batteries (new)

Started by russ_drinkwater, January 29, 2016, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacotenente

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on March 30, 2016, 06:19:33 PM
Added 4 more L16's to the bank and got them charged up.
Gave the whole bank an equalize and all sg were up over 1275 so all good.
It may be my imagination but the system seems to work better with the extra amp hours available to draw from (435 amp @ 24 volts to 870 amps @ 24 volts).
Voltage over night with the light load from one freezer sits on 25.5 volts.
Just need to get the extra panels up and wired when the weather cools off a bit.

Cool stuff! I run 12 Trojan L16 batteries in a 24v configuration too. When I went from eight to 12 batteries...it was GREAT! However, with more batteries...need more input solar charging. Currently I have mine set for 29.8v Absorb for three hours every day (Trojan recommends 29.6v). Float is 27.4. I notice they smell pretty "acidy" when in Absorb...throwing off a lot of stink. But, I ventilate. I run them relatively hard over night. When my system switches off...they are usually at 24.5v. However, I have been stretching them to stay "off-grid" and run my system 24/7. They never go below 24.2 - 24.4v (60-62% SOC). They work well except for the stink they produce when in Absorb. I use store bought Distilled water...only had to top them off once in 5 months...maybe 5-6 oz of water or so.

russ_drinkwater

My cells have a life on easy street! A friend (offgridqld) told me the cells all look brand new! Well I do not polish them, but at times I think the wife feels I spend more time with the batteries than her! Do not talk to them yet ::)
I would really like to be able to run the house overnight off the batteries. I can put the freezers on timers so they cycle less at night time.
Fridges can be left go. We pull 3-4 kw during daylight hours. But from no solar input till daylight and regs going out of rest I think would be closer to 5kw overnight. When I get the other 4 trojans in the next 4-8 weeks I will give it a go one night once I get them settled in and working properly with the second array and have the regs both working!
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters

Jacotenente

Quote from: russ_drinkwater on May 08, 2016, 04:53:05 PM
My cells have a life on easy street! A friend (offgridqld) told me the cells all look brand new! Well I do not polish them, but at times I think the wife feels I spend more time with the batteries than her! Do not talk to them yet ::)
I would really like to be able to run the house overnight off the batteries. I can put the freezers on timers so they cycle less at night time.
Fridges can be left go. We pull 3-4 kw during daylight hours. But from no solar input till daylight and regs going out of rest I think would be closer to 5kw overnight. When I get the other 4 trojans in the next 4-8 weeks I will give it a go one night once I get them settled in and working properly with the second array and have the regs both working!

Sounds good - that is what I did. Had four, then eight, then twelve. Eight batteries almost got me through the night in February (less sun). Now I have 12 Trojans and more daylight...am able to go through the night. However, I run a window air conditioner...that is where I am thinking four more Trojans will be needed to make it through summer heat here in Oklahoma.

russ_drinkwater

The a/c here is 8000 watts and only run off its own circuit! 12-16 x L16's will run everything in the house on sunny days and then overnight.
Makes my hand shake a little when i have to handover the readies to the shop for 4 batteries at a time! :o
Bloody cool here overnight and so I will be on the roof putting the last panels up soon.
Winter has finally come to us. No snow ever, so it is all good.
Can not imagine having to get on the roof to clean off snow!
Sold off 43 head of cattle yesterday and so when we get paid I will get another 4 trojans.
Do not tell the wife! :-X 8) ;)
Standalone. 20 Hyundai x 220 watts panels, 2 x classic 150's, Latronics 24 volt 3kw inverter, Whiz bang Jnr, 12 Rolls surrete  4KS 25P  batteries and WBJ.
Grid tie feed-in, 12.5 kw in 3 arrays generating 50 kws per day average. Solar river grid tie inverters