MNBreaker Protector

Started by Ben Giudici, February 11, 2012, 04:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Giudici

Does the hole pattern on the MNBreaker Protector match the panel mounting holes in the MNEDC250 breaker? 

Has anyone ever used this protector as a means of making the MNEDC250 breaker a lockable disconnection/isolation point for an inverter battery system in a Canadian application where CEC rules apply?

Thanks for your help. 
Ben

Robin

The red breaker protector was designed to fit over the MNEDC125, 175 and 250 breaker.
I put the holes in the sides so it would be possible to lock it off.
I don't think Canadian regulations require it though. All of our E-Panels that use the 175 and 250 amp breaker have the red breaker protector installed. Problem solved, just purchase an E-Panel.
Robin Gudgel

Ben Giudici

Thanks Robin.

We have an off-grid client with a Xantrex XW system which was in fact installed using your XW E-panel.

The electrical inspector recently failed to approve the installation arguing that the CEC requires a disconnection means between the battery and the inverter.  Like you, I thought the 250amp breaker in the E-panel would serve as the disconnection means.  However according to section 80 of the CEC a disconnection means between two sources of energy must be lockable.  Rather than installing a very expensive safety switch that has the required DC ratings, I thought the breaker protector would be a good solution.

Similarly the inspector is asking for a disconnection means between the solar charger and the battery.  Do you happen to have an accessory that could make the DC breakers in the E-panel lockable?

I appreciate your help.
Ben

Westbranch

Ben, if the client is off-grid, why is the install subject to inspection? Also how can the inverter, or is it an inver-charger , be considered as 'a power source' if it is not connected to the batteries.  Seems like that section is meant for grid tied.
Our builder mentioned in a discussion last fall that we might want an electrician to 'sign off' that the install was to code but no mention of inspection at our new , in progress, Off-Grid house

ps I am in BC
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Robin

Wow, I have heard of whacko inspectors before, but yours is about as stupid as they come!
It sure does make sense while working on your system to lock all the brekers off. After all, you might just reach over 2 feet and turn something on! We have only one device that I can think of that would satisfy this requirement. Our MNPV6 disco combiner can have din rail mount breakers installed and the switch handle can be locked. Those boxes run a couple hundred bucks. I would suggest going above that inspectors head and ask for his supervisor to give a ruling. This guy has obviously never inspected a RE system before and shouldn't any more.
Robin Gudgel