Adding the Absorb time value to the list

Started by Joe, January 16, 2012, 06:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Would it be possible to add the absorb time to the list of daily values stored in the Classic and have them where they can be viewed and downloaded to your PC in a speadsheet format.

I have 16 S530 Surrette batteries in a 48volt system.

With my system, the absorb value is more important in determining the state of charge the batteries are at, without using a Hydrometer. Surrette recommends Absorbing for 10 hours, but I have found that I can bring them to a full charge in just over 7 hours. It would be nice to have these values at a glance. Most of the time I will reach absorb setpoint of 58.4 by 10:30 or 11:00 am this time of year. I am out of sun by 4:30, this only leaves 6 hrs at best to absorb. So once a week I watch the weather for a sunny day and bring the batteries to 58.4 with the generator just before daylight and then let the solar array keep it at the absorb setpoint for the required time.

With all of this being said, you can see that having this info at a glance would make it easier to manage and track day to day production.

boB

Hi Joe.
Adding Absorb time to the Classic could be done but usually the Float time will tell you if it finished its Absorb or not.
Were you wanting the actual amount of time between minimum and maximum absorb time ?  For instance, if minimum
absorb time was 30 minutes and maximum was 2 hours and it Absorbed for 60 minutes, is that what you want to see ?

The rest of the time for the day the Classic will be in Float so that will give an indication.  One of the problems with the minimum
and maximum absorb times is that even if there is say, 50 Watts during a Bulk cycle, the absorb timer will rack up the minutes.
There are ways around this but isn't implemented in the Classic yet...

Another thing you can see, at least in the recent history in data logging is the charge stage the Classic is in along with a time stamp which will also give you a good indication of Absorb time as well as the amount of power the Classic is producing out its battery terminals.

Will think more about this.....
As always, thank you for the input.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Joe

Thinks Bob,

This time of year I never reach float stage to know that I am at full charge. That is why it would be nice to know how long it has been in the absorb stage.  I have my max absorb time at 7 hours is that way to long,  I have check state of charge with  hydromerter and it take about 7 hours in absorb stage to reach 1.260 SG in the battereis.

Thanks Joe

Halfcrazy

I can see where a "Time in Absorb" would be real handy for us Off grid guys that seem to never get to float in the winter. I could vote for this addition.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

niel

yikes, 7hrs of time absorb charging would have trouble reaching float in the warmer months!!!

boB

OK then, we'll just have to see what we can do for logging Absorb time...

Now, I have to ask, what is your batteries' Amp-Hour rating and much available power do you have to charge them ?
But maybe a better question is, (because of DC loads on the batteries), what is the typical amount of current going
into the battery bank during the day ??   Can you look at the hourly (recent) data logs to get an idea of what voltage
the batteries are getting to and a ball park on how long they are staying there ?

Will the system ever go to float if you set the Absorb time for, say, 2 hours ??  If not, then are you sure you have
enough power for that size of battery bank ?  Or, how about 1 hour of Absorb ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Rolls / Surrette has always recommended a real long Absorb charge not sure how they anticipate Off Grid people actually getting that many hours in Absorb though  ::)

dapdan

Midnite,

THis is exactly what I had asked for in another post where you guys had asked what additional feature one would like to see in the app. I was remarking on how I would like to access absorb time so I would know from a design perspective if I need to add more panels or remove loads etc.

Further to this point I would wish to know why is it that the timer for absorb and equalise start  counter up (when it was previously counting down) when passing clouds make the input power decrease. My layman thinking is that it should stop or pause until input power increases again and the timer would continue to countdown. If one had a high percentage on clouds on a sunny day it is concievable that one would never complete the count down since it alway counts up when power levels decrease. Tell me I am missing something here as it seem illogical to me.

Cheers..
Damani

dapdan

1/2,

I have noticed the same ting with S/R. How do you generally set your absorption time in the field when(or if) you use S/R batteries given what they ask for.

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

I never used R/S batteries they are just to hard to charge off grid.

dapdan

1/2,

That is an interesting comment. I even raised my eye brows. So what are you batteries of choice then? Trojans (ya know if you use trojans in another conversation they mean a complete different thing).

Vic

Hi All,

Well,  to me,  as a Surrette user,  long Asorb times are only required when a large bank is cycled to a lower SOC.  on my current system,  use about 1:10 Asorb time,  and almost always get into Float by noon,  unless stormy.

Larger banks that are cycled to/below 80-85% SOC need more charge time,  oh,, that is obvious.

The bank at the new project site runs an inverter and few internet radios plus some power tools,  and needs about 1.8 Kwh per day do reach Float.  But it just has a 1.1 Kw STC array to float the bank.  Takes about 2 hours in Asorb,  due to low charge I.

Just my experience.

ANd I'd also like to have Asorb time logged,  as it is an aid in setting the charger.  EIther in using Return Amps (End Amps),  or perhaps in setting Asorb V.  Not essential,  but a help for those of us who have no other logging data,  and cannot watch the CC when it transition from Asorb to Float.

On the venerable MX-60,  had thought if it could just keep the Asorb countdown timer value as it was at the transition to Float (until next sunrise),  instead of zeroing it out ...  but that might have upset Rebulk or semething else ...  dunno.
Thanks,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

OK then, it's unanimous !  Absorb time logging will be coming.  I think that most of you know that you can view the present Absorb/Bulk timer value and select between HOURS:MINUTES   or   MINUTES:SECONDS  in the timer/view sub-menu.

It starts out counting up with the MINIMUM Absorb time setting and counts up to MAXIMUM time which you all appear to know about.
This method has worked fine for many (10+) years now so it won't change too much, however, I do have a way to make it work better
without just pausing or stopping when going back to MPPT mode as DapDan was concerned about.  It is very similar to when the Classic
wakes up at dawn.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

laszlo

Logging the absorb time would be super nice, but might it be possible to log the amps at the termination of the absorb cycle, since that is also a useful data point? When I see my batteries are taking in less than 10 amps I know they are nearly full, so that's my line of thinking here.
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

Joe

Hello Bob,

I have the pleasure of living in eastern Oregon where the sun is at a premium.

My array consist of 8, 210 watt sanyo hip  panels, I have no problem reaching absorb in the summer months. I can reach float stage now in 2 hours but this leaves the batteries at 80 to 85 % charged. Typicaly I can produce a current of 25 to 30 amps in full sun.

In the winter months I use 7.0 to 8.0 kwh a day. In the summer that falls to 4.5 to 6.0 kwh a day. My float setpoint is 54.8 volts absorb setpoint is 58.4 volts.

I do scroll through the time stamps sometime's to determine the time at absorb but this process takes a while.

It would be helpfull to read and down load  to a chart of  the day to day absorb time for the past week to determine the state of charge the batteries are at.

Thank you for your ear,  Joe