Unable to connect to classic using local app even over loacal network

Started by offgridQLD, April 19, 2013, 07:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A1Topgun

:)
OK.  Making progress.  Panel still not working, but firmware is current at 1401 and MNGP at 1370.  Thanks for the detailed PDF.  The only detail I was missing was where to browse for the driver.

Removed and re-installed Abobe Air and Status Panel.  No joy!

What's next?

If your not the Lead Dog, the scenery never changes!

atop8918

Hi, A1,
Sorry for the network troubles.

Can I just get another run down on the system to make sure we've got everything in place:
- Classic set to DHCP or Static?
- You may want to set it to Static to avoid any other problems.
- Is the application set to "Automatically detect classics?"
- Are you running a firewall on your computer? If so have you opened the port corresponding to your Classic (502 by default) or have you made an exception to let the local application bypass the firewall?
- Is the Classic running on a separate subnet? If so the UDP advertise packets will not be able to get to the Local App and it will not detect.
- Do you have a high-traffic network? Dropbox or bit torrent apps tend to destroy my network.
- what model of router/switch are you using? Some older switches have to be rebooted when new devices are added or on occasion.
- Is anything else attaching to the Classic on your network? It's a long-shot, sure...
- Are you running the latest version of Adobe AIR? Might be worth an update if you haven't already.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Local App has been behaving pretty well last few revs.

A1Topgun

;D

As Homer would say, "Doh!",  or as I would say back when I worked the Tech Phones, "It's so obvious once you figure it out."   It was the old "ID 10 T" error. 

I did not put the IP in the app configure field because I ASSUMED the app would find the Classic if the Auto Detect box was checked.

Thanks for all the help with the new kid on the block.

But, this brings up another question.  On my LAN I'm running a desktop, two printers, and the Classic hard wired to a four port Belkin wireless router.  Also, running two laptops and an iPad on the wire less side.  All running DHCP except the printers which are static IPs.

As these devices are powered up and down though out the day as needed, there is a good chance the Classic will pick up a different IP in the future.  Therefore, as noted in several other posts, would it be wise to give the Classic a static IP outside the DHCP table?  I am inclined to say "Yes" and give the Classic a static IP.

If your not the Lead Dog, the scenery never changes!

atop8918

AHA!
Yes, I'd say that a static IP is probably the best. DHCP is designed to pick up the last IP used when available, but this really depends on the implementation of the server software and not all DHCP server honor this. The Classic tries to claim its last address but this is touch and go on different systems.
I'd definitely go for a static IP in most cases -- DHCP is great for "plug-and-go" when it works, but if you want the Classic on your network where you can always find it, ya can't beat the static.

RossW

Quote from: atop8918 on August 31, 2013, 03:24:19 PM
DHCP is great for "plug-and-go" when it works, but if you want the Classic on your network where you can always find it, ya can't beat the static.

Unless, like me, you have >100 active devices on your network as well as lots of roaming/visiting devices, and trying to maintain them all as statics is just a PITA. Then, letting DHCP do all the work, maintaining a central config that gives fixed addresses to the 60 or so that need them and having it right there in front of you is a real bonus.
3600W on 6 tracking arrays.
7200W on 2 fixed array.
Midnite Classic 150
Outback Flexmax FM80
16 x LiFePO4 600AH cells
16 x LiFePO4 300AH cells
Selectronics SP-PRO 481 5kW inverter
Fronius 6kW AC coupled inverter
Home-brew 4-cyl propane powered 14kVa genset
2kW wind turbine

atop8918