Started by Free Energy Freak, July 17, 2014, 07:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Free Energy Freak

Midnite Kid settings for an "unknown" battery:

• Bulk = Automatic
  • Absorb = 14.4vdc
  • Float = 13.25vdc
  • Equalization = 15.5vdc
Thanks, guys, for the help. I will make it a point to buy some quality batteries when these need replacing. The only reason I am using them, is due to the fact that I got them for an exceptional deal.
400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

Westbranch

Just to be clear when I said

"You have to be fully charged before you can do an EQ"

it means you have to go through Bulk, Absorb and into Float before starting an EQ and that may be very difficult to get to as an EQ will take many hours...

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Free Energy Freak

Quote from: Westbranch on July 18, 2014, 09:56:20 PM
Just to be clear when I said

"You have to be fully charged before you can do an EQ"

it means you have to go through Bulk, Absorb and into Float before starting an EQ and that may be very difficult to get to as an EQ will take many hours...

hth

Many? I thought to do an EQ only would take up to 2 hours? If that isn't true, how many ours are we talking here? Should I move the battery where it can be charged off the mains?

Yes, I understand that you mean the battery must be fully charged, prior to starting EQ.
400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

vtmaps

Quote from: Free Energy Freak on July 18, 2014, 11:11:33 PM
I thought to do an EQ only would take up to 2 hours? If that isn't true, how many hours are we talking here? Should I move the battery where it can be charged off the mains?

As many hours as it takes to get the SG of each cell back to normal.

EQ must always be done under supervision....  you must watch the temperature of the batteries and halt the EQ if/when they become to warm. 

When I do an EQ, I halt the EQ every 30-45 minutes to check the SG.  (I don't like to remove the battery caps and check SG while the batteries are gassing).

--vtMaps

Free Energy Freak

Thanks, vtmaps.

I didn't realize this.

I'm glad equalizing doesn't have to be done very often.

vtmaps

Quote from: Free Energy Freak on July 19, 2014, 06:09:12 AM
I'm glad equalizing doesn't have to be done very often.

If you're lucky, you may never need to do an EQ.  The purpose of EQ is to equalize all the cells at 100% SOC (SOC, as determined by SG).

If all SG are OK (and therefore all cells are at 100% SOC), then there is no need to EQ.

--vtMaps

Free Energy Freak

Quote from: vtmaps on July 19, 2014, 06:14:54 AMIf you're lucky, you may never need to do an EQ.  The purpose of EQ is to equalize all the cells at 100% SOC (SOC, as determined by SG).

If all SG are OK (and therefore all cells are at 100% SOC), then there is no need to EQ.

--vtMaps

Understood.
Okay, thank you very much.

Vic

Completely agree with vtmaps;

Generally,  with batteries that are well tended,  a fairly short EQ is all that is required,  and,  then relatively infrequent.

Batteries that are abused/misused need more frequent,  longer and higher voltage EQs ...   generally.

Here,  we generally EQ every few months,  and then seldom much more than one hour or 1.5 hours.

Seems that on a battery bank that really needs an EQ,  that it can take quite  a long time to reach the EQ voltage setting,  and the EQ current (into the battery) is relatively high.   Also,  on a battery needing an EQ,  the aroma of sulfur is usually strong,  and prolonged.

Batteries that deficit-charged for extended periods become sulphated.  This sulphate becomes harder and harder,   because it was not removed with the normal Absorption stage.  The longer that this sulphate remains on the plates of the battery,  the harder it becomes to remove with Absorption.  Then EQ is required,  sometimes a prolonged EQ.

The above are some thought on EQ,  based on personal experience.   Just opinions,   YMMV,  and so on.     Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

And,  F E F,

Should have mentioned this before;
Because these appear to be generic batteries,  you may not know the target SG at a full charge.

Often in NA,  many FLA batteries seem to have target SG of 1.265.  Many  of the High Capacity and Traction batteries use higher SG electrolyte -- 1.277 - 1.280.

The general standard reference temperature for many FLAs  is 25 C.   For HC batteries,  the reference temperature is often around 27 C.

You can infer the target SG,  but you may not need to ...  FWIW ...   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!