Kid Low Voltage Disconnect

Started by SpokaneTroy, September 13, 2014, 02:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpokaneTroy

I set the LVD to disconnect at 12.5v and re-connect at float.  This never disconnects even when the voltage reads 11.9v.  I changed the LVD to disconnect at 12.5 and re-connect at 12.8.  This disconnects at 12.5 and re-connects at 12.8.  BUT, it does not stay on.  When the voltage goes up to 13.0v, the load is disconnected again.  I am not using any of the timer modes.

Has anyone else been using the LVD? 

For MidNite Solar guys...is there progress being made on the LVD function that will tie into amps used?

Troy
Midnite Solar Kid Charge Controller
1 SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW 275 mono PV Module
(Soon to be 2)
2 Sun Xtender PVX-2240T 6v AGM Sealed Batteries in series
1 Midnite Solar Whiz Bang Jr current sense module

Mario

Troy, do you have both the Load negative and positive running to the load? The kid switches the negative wire.
what is the Load Function you are using? If you want to rely only on the LVD to disconnect and reconnect you need to use Function Manual and turn it on, then press the SETUP Button to setup the LVD parameters.

About the LVD being able to be disable when so much energy has been taken out of the batteries, it could be done, but I suspect it would have to be used with the WBJR in place that way the kid knows about the battery bank and it could reconnect depending on the SOC disconnect at certain % of battery remaining.

Mario

SpokaneTroy

Mario,

Yes, the load negative and positive both connect to the controller load connections.  The controller is switching the load off and on, but switches it off even when it is maintaining well above the re-connect set point.

I have not configured any load function other than the disconnect and re-connect set points.  Initially, I tried using the option to specify a disconnect set point and the re-connect set point of float, but that never did disconnect the load.

The load is set to Manual and I have set the disconnect and re-connect set points.

Thanks,

Troy
(Soon to be 2)

TomW

Quote from: SpokaneTroy on September 16, 2014, 11:58:18 PM

The load is set to Manual and I have set the disconnect and re-connect set points.

Thanks,

Troy
Troy;

I have not used my Kids in this way but...

Wouldn't it need to be set to"Automatic" to switch based on your parameters?

Just seems it should work that way.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Mario

Troy, the unit set to Manual and On is selected?

The LBD does not work by itself, you have to select a Function for the load to act, if you do not care and just want the load to be on and rely on the LBD for disconnect and reconnect then Manual is what you want but you have to set it to ON and SET UP the LVD.

Mario

SpokaneTroy

Is anyone successfully using this?  I just tried it again, and the load was not disconnected when the battery voltage dropped below the LVD value.
(Soon to be 2)