Web interface to CLASSIC 250KS on local network?

Started by RickyEM, September 08, 2012, 09:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Quote from: tecnodave on June 12, 2014, 11:37:03 AM
I don't think I should name them but the ET6415N is cheep Chinese garbage! Seen it, had on bench, huge EMI/RFI emissions through the plastic front cover, blankets the HF bands up through 100 MHz,
Knocks out my FM broadcast radio!  Ok we all know I am speaking of EPSolar and the Tracer and eTracer lines.

Cheap garbage maybe, but I remember only too well the time when electronics and cars and generally anything originating from Japan was considered either junk or at best second rate.
Just as the Doc thought until Marty corrected him that all the best stuff comes from Japan (in BTTF2)

Anyway, the eTracer/Tracer mppt controllers appear to sell like hot cakes, garbage or not.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

dgd

Quote from: zoneblue on June 12, 2014, 06:38:01 PM
... the modbus interface is incredibly powerful. 

Errr...,  but not exactly intuiitive. Offering modbus, per se, as some sort of user interface, is IMO, from a product marketing and practical viewpoint, as useful as offering binoculars to a blind man.
OTOH, presenting the same data via a web interface means almost any computing device could make that data presentable.
Modbus or web interface?  What would the marketing and sales people in Midnite prefer? and distributors and resellers?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

ClassicCrazy

The Morningstar Tristar Mppt 60 amp controller has a built in webpage that works very good and easy to use. If that was the deal breaker I would get one of those instead of the Tracer models. But for many other reasons the Classic is the better value than others  since it will control  more power and has built in aux relays not to mention Whizbang.   
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

atop8918

Well like anything this is a balancing act. We have to support both SCADA guys and consumers so MODBUS was the best compromise. We did the Local App and MYMidNite to support consumers to hide the complexity of the MODBUS. If all we had was a built in web server then the SCADA guys wouldn't touch us. Our networking it seems is still buggy but our charge controller is a better value then the competitors' at the moment. So the question is: do you want a lower-power controller with a better user interface or a higher-power one with a less intuitive or buggy one?
You may not agree with our selection of trade offs- but then nor do I with Microsoft yet I'm still running Windows on my desktop machine. I don't like paying taxes but then I like the idea of going to federal prison even less. I really like donuts but then again I can't eat them for ever meal or I would die.