classic 150 questions and suggestions

Started by Barry Fields, March 26, 2023, 03:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Fields

On a personal note, I asked my oncologist if instead of taking inject-able testosterone blockers I could just start drinking Bud-Lite.

My goal is to divert uncollected PV power to my Cold water heater. I have capacity in my primary inverter to run a 50 ft 14-2 220v line to a SSR to a rewired CWH (2250w) and use AUX2 waste not hi PWM to control the SSR. I want it active in both absorb and float modes yet not interfere with their operation.

I understand the the Absorb timer will pause at -.3v below set point. Will it re-engage @ setpoint or something lower?

If width = 1v and vlow = -.1v ;

[1] Will that interfere with the absorb timer?
[2] Will the classic allow the unloaded bank voltage to rise to .9v above the setpoint? (100% pwm)
[3] Would settings of width =.5v and vlow = 0 be more appropriate?

Thanks for your time.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Barry Fields on April 17, 2023, 03:04:12 PMOn a personal note, I asked my oncologist if instead of taking inject-able testosterone blockers I could just start drinking Bud-Lite.

My goal is to divert uncollected PV power to my Cold water heater. I have capacity in my primary inverter to run a 50 ft 14-2 220v line to a SSR to a rewired CWH (2250w) and use AUX2 waste not hi PWM to control the SSR. I want it active in both absorb and float modes yet not interfere with their operation.

I understand the the Absorb timer will pause at -.3v below set point. Will it re-engage @ setpoint or something lower?

If width = 1v and vlow = -.1v ;

[1] Will that interfere with the absorb timer?
[2] Will the classic allow the unloaded bank voltage to rise to .9v above the setpoint? (100% pwm)
[3] Would settings of width =.5v and vlow = 0 be more appropriate?

Thanks for your time.
You watched my video right ? Maybe I didn't link the correct video but I had a 120v AC line from my inverter going to SSR that was controlled by Aux2  Waste Not. It only will let the extra power above absorb ( or float) to the water heater coil. It doesn't interfere with absorb timer because it only turns on the extra power above Absorb or Float . I think I had Waste Not set up using default settings but don't remember. I had Waste Not High. But I made a few changes and Waste Not high didn't seem to work so I used Diversion now and it accomplishes the same goal of sending extra power over to hot water coil.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Larry,  I just re-watched your video. I noticed your settings for Waste not high were width = 1v and Vlow= 1v. Did I read that correctly?

Why did you feel that Waste not didn't work well?

thanks for your input
Barry
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Barry Fields on April 18, 2023, 11:14:39 AMLarry,  I just re-watched your video. I noticed your settings for Waste not high were width = 1v and Vlow= 1v. Did I read that correctly?

thanks for your input
Barry

I think I just used the defaults for waste not. It could be that other settings would work better. That was a few years ago so I don't remember much about the setup.
I change my system from two Classics that had lots of pv on each and were in follow me , changed it to less PV on one Classic and just two pv on the second Classic. I was using the Aux2 on the second Classic. My aim was to use extra power to hot water heating element. I don't know why the Waste Not did not work , but when I tried Diversion it did what I wanted it to and I just did not spend any more time trying to figure it out or mess around with it.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Barry Fields on April 18, 2023, 11:14:39 AMLarry,  I just re-watched your video. I noticed your settings for Waste not high were width = 1v and Vlow= 1v. Did I read that correctly?

thanks for your input
Barry

I think I went into more detail in this video and showed how pwm worked using Classic App
https://youtu.be/Non3H88UzPs
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Larry, That is the one I watched. Still have the same questions.
thanks Barry

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Barry Fields on April 18, 2023, 02:32:19 PMLarry, That is the one I watched. Still have the same questions.
thanks Barry
Maybe this is the other one - I made a few videos
https://youtu.be/s7trVpHLts4
This is playlist with some of my solar videos in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljxi-xDMW7E&list=PLyZ0F9SqMJulkcsoMABwloxRY9oPl5rqw&pp=gAQB

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Larry, your second video yielded no additional information.
Thanks Barry

Barry Fields

Just a summary of where we are

Questions Answered
[1] The Absorb and Float set points are Battery Bank Temperature compensated values.TRUE {thanks Larry}
[3]  When the unit is in Absorb and a primary load drops the Bank voltage significantly, is the Absorb timer paused?TRUE -.3v (Thanks boB)

Un-answered questions
[3] If TRUE, what are the parameters for restarting the Absorb timer?
[4]  During ABSORB (constant voltage) or FLOAT(constant voltage)  what are the reasonable expectation of the +/- voltage ranges delivered to the Battery Bank?
[5]  Are Aux 1 and AUX 2 inactive during bulk and rebulk?
[6]  AUX 1 and AUX 2 setpoints automatically change from Absorb to Float settings.  TRUE?
[7]  In AUX 1 waste not high, what are the range of settings for Vhigh, Vlow, Delay and Hold?
[11]  What are the range of settings for WIDTH and AUX 2 Vlow?
[12]  If WIDTH is set to 1v and AUX 2 Vlow is set to 0, Will 100% PWM be achieved ? (see question 4)
[13]  Would those settings interfere with the ABSORB TIMER? (see question 3)

Other Un-answered Questions
The rest of the questions apply to my peculiar system or are meant to prompt thought of a better mousetrap.  If I had the answers to the above, I could solve my own system applications.

ClassicCrazy

Do you have a Classic ?
Really the best way to answer your questions is to just hook something up to Aux and test it out.   
Yes the Aux changes by itself from Absorb to Float stages.
The Absorb timer restarts when it gets back to Absorb voltage.
The only time the absorb timer stops is if it goes below absorb voltage setting, once it comes back up then timer starts again.
Larry 
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Larry,
No I do not have a Classic 150. I am trying to decide whether to spend $700 of my Social Security Check to improve my system performance. That is why I am asking these questions. I want to be sure that the 150 will satisfy my needs.
I do not believe that my questions are that difficult or involve trade secrets.

Thank you for answering
[6]  AUX 1 and AUX 2 setpoints automatically change from Absorb to Float settings.  TRUE

Can you confirm
[3] The ABSORB timer pauses @ ABSORBv-.3v and restarts @ ABSORBv.  OR does it restart @ ABSORBv-.2v ? Important difference.

Thanks for your input
Barry

ClassicCrazy

You might want to consider the Hawkes Bay too.
But if you are thinking of installing a smaller array the HB wouldn't work since it needs at least 185v pv to operate.
I have never paid close enough attention to the details that you are wanting to know about. It is also kind of hard to answer your question because I think  the Classic  does some averaging since the voltage can bounce around some. Why does that -.3 or -.2 v make a difference for your system engineering?
It also depends on the type of batteries you have in your system. With lead acid things are a bit more stable in the run up to absorb. But with lithium it can change to absorb and then to float very quickly before you might even notice it.   
What kind of controller do you have now ?
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on April 12, 2023, 01:54:44 PMYes, the -0.3V  is about the same as the Classic's. 

Both Absorb and Float are temperature compensated.

When the battery voltage drops back to bulk from Absorb, the timer will just stop counting.  It will suspend counting. Then, when the large load goes away or the sun comes back, the timer will continue counting from where it left off.    This is if it all happens during the same day.
If it is the next day, then the Absorb counter will start from scratch...  2 Hours or whatever it is set for.

boB

Sorry to bother you. Is that ABSORB pause of -.3v the same for 12v, 24v, and 48v lead acid battery banks?
What voltage restarts the timer?
Thanks Barry

boB

No bother at all !

It starts again when the voltage equals the Absorb target voltage again.

If it wasn't allowed to move around a little bit, then it would almost constantly be going from Absorb-bulk-absorb-bulk etc...

I think the -0.3V is the same for all voltages.  The next version of code will be able to tighten that up more which is specially for Lithium batteries.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on April 21, 2023, 10:22:56 PMNo bother at all !

It starts again when the voltage equals the Absorb target voltage again.

If it wasn't allowed to move around a little bit, then it would almost constantly be going from Absorb-bulk-absorb-bulk etc...

I think the -0.3V is the same for all voltages.  The next version of code will be able to tighten that up more which is specially for Lithium batteries.

boB

Thanks so much.

One more question before I share how this would work for me.
In AUX2 waste not hi, can the width be set for .4v or .5v?
(remember I have a 40KWH 48volt FLA battery bank that is not prone to wild fluctuations)

Also, good luck walking the Lithium voltage tightrope.

Thanks Barry