New-ish Classic and MNGP code update for trying

Started by boB, May 20, 2023, 01:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

There is a newer Classic and MNGP firmware update if you would like to try it.

One thing it does is to add a battery selection screen in the VMM  or quick setup screen.

After updating the MNGP and Classic, re-power the Classic, and when the MidNite Logo graphic shows up, hold down the LEFT and RIGHT  ARROW keys till you see the first setup screen.

Lithium will also default the battery temperature range and Absorb time to 1/2 hour I think it is.

Keep an older firmware file around just in case it doesn't work good for you.

One thing I know needs fixing but is not a big deal is that when choosing a Lithium batter, the EQ voltage adjustment menu still shows up.

http://bob.midniteftp.com/Classic_Control_150_3485_11-8-2022.ctl

http://bob.midniteftp.com/Classic_Control_200_3485_11-8-2022.ctl

http://bob.midniteftp.com/Classic_Control_250_3485_11-8-2022.ctl

Let me know if you try it, please.  Either here or  bob--AT--midnitesolar.com  minus the --

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Bob - I will try to load it up sometime in next few days and see if it works okay.
Is that the only thing different - is the defaults for lithium ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

LilMT

Is this a Beta-ish version that anyone can try?  I have a couple of friends that just went to lithium and I can see if they would like to test it out?

If reports are good, will this hit the firmware download page?

Thanks,
LilMT

Classic 250, 3s2p Trina Solar 405watt, 8 Renogy 200ah for 48V 400ah, Magnasine 4448 inverter.

boB

I will write up the changes tomorrow.  Another change was the tightening up of battery voltage going in and out of Absorb to BULK MPPT.  This is especially for Lithium, if the battery requires an Absorb time of any length.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Bob - It will help if  bulk to absorb is tightened up.
Here is graph of my lithium batteries from yesterday with Classic set for 56v Absorb, 3 min absorb time, and 15 ending amps.
In graph below orange line shows Classic getting to about 55.6v when it went to absorb.
I think I have the battery cables tweaked okay but all these settings just sort of have to be made up with trial and error to find out what works best for the batteries getting full.
It doesn't help that one of my batteries has a much greater cell imbalance than the other two.
I am going to remove that battery this summer and open it up to try and manually balance the cells or figure out how to have it's bms do the job on it's own.
All the photos below are at same point in time with peaks being at Absorb.
Larry 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Larry,  you set the startup VMM to Lithium first ?

BTW, there is a way to reduce the width of that Absorb hysteresis that involves going through the Modbus editor screen and we can play with that if you like.

Are you simply using the battery voltage meter on the Classic or are you comparing V to a Fluke meter (or equiv meter) ?   If using the Fluke meter, the Classic battery voltage reading may be off a bit

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Bob,

I was using the battery bms reported voltage and the Classic reported voltages.
Weird thing is that same settings today - Classic reached different voltage at Absorb and tracked much closer to the battery voltages. I have no idea why. see photo

I will load the new software sometime soon and see how it compares.
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Larry, how much elapsed time is there (about) in your voltage graph ?

I definitely see the battery voltage averaging from the Classic's reading.
The Classic averaging time should only be a couple of seconds as I remember so maybe these voltage readings are not many minutes or hours or something real long in your graph.  I know the average is not THAT long :)

So, with the software you are running now, the old software, it is understandable that the Vbatt was able to go a few tenths below the desired absorb voltage.  The newer software should tighten that up a bit if Lithium is selected.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Bob ,
Sorry I cut off the time on that - here is same screenshot with the time on it .
Also , your download for me on Firefox is showing up as webpage and  a lot of numbers.
Should I save that as a text file , and then rename it as .ctl ?
You said we should update both the classic and the mngp - does your download contain both files needed ?
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Yes, you can save as a text and rename or just right click and "save link as"  I believe.

You are right !   I forgot the MNGP file !

http://bob.midniteftp.com/MNGP_3484_11-8-2022.rem

In windows, right click and save link as  into the firmware updater directory. 

The updater should choose the most recent file

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Bob,
Just did the update early morning here . It all loaded up just fine, and I did see the new lithium selection.
 I restored  the same settings as I had in before so should be able to compare with the last couple days when it comes into absorb, etc.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

There was a mistake in the 3484 MNGP firmware that is now fixed...

When doing a VMM for whatever battery system, the MNGP would not send the proper Absorb time for that particular battery type.  The Absorb time was always 2 hours as in, flooded.  Lithium was supposed to be 6 minutes for instance.

Try this one to replace if you would like.

http://bob.midniteftp.com/MNGP_3700_6-12-2023.rem

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

I had not taken note of the battery offset I had in my original setup and the Local App doesn't save that.  So I was playing around with the offset after last firmware and maybe that is why it didn't seem to work right.
I will load up the new one and see what happens.

Do we use the same MNGP update as last time ? Oh I see that newer mngp update in a previous post.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 12, 2023, 08:04:03 PMI had not taken note of the battery offset I had in my original setup and the Local App doesn't save that.  So I was playing around with the offset after last firmware and maybe that is why it didn't seem to work right.
I will load up the new one and see what happens.

Do we use the same MNGP update as last time ? Oh I see that newer mngp update in a previous post.

Larry

Yeah, I screwed up the Absorb time sending of data.  I was set to 2 hours

Now it should send the proper time for a particular battery

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me