News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Midnite Combox / Re: Status of the MNS COMBOX P...
Last post by ClassicCrazy - Today at 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: Barry Fields on Today at 10:23:16 AMIn the simplest of terms that an elderly Tennessee Hillbilly can understand:

What is the issue the Combox is intended to resolve?

What is the issue that MQTT is intended to resolve?

I do appreciate y'alls patience.
Quote from: Barry Fields on Today at 10:23:16 AMIn the simplest of terms that an elderly Tennessee Hillbilly can understand:

This was software project that Graham created for the Classic. It is explained on page linked below. Basically the Classic had limitation of being able to only have one modbus link at a time. And that link had to be local or some kind of ip tunnel or whatever. The project linked made it so that something like a raspberry pi could connect to the Classic, and then publish the Classic data as MQTT . Those mqtt packets are easy to send out either locally via pi , or to external source. You don't need to open any ports on your router or do anything magic networking wise. Once the data is in mqtt form - as many clients as you want can get that data at the same time which got rid of the only one connection at a time limitation. Here is the link so you can see the graphic that Graham had made about it. https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT
I use it via a raspberry pi with my classics and it is stable and never crashes.
 https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT
Larry
The Rosie / Re: Grid Sell Update?
Last post by Wizbandit - Today at 03:04:47 PM
Lotsa nice GREEN on this...

Last post by boB - Today at 01:56:11 PM
Quote from: Barry Fields on Today at 01:38:10 PM
Quote from: boB on Today at 12:49:32 PMIt is a plastic box with Orange Pi inside that has 4 CAN ports, Ethernet, USB, 2 RS-232 ports for Classic integration...

Could that function be performed by the STM32F030 in my proposed BBMT product?

What is MQTT for?

I would use a bit higher powered STM32 part than the STM32F030 myself but that part might work.

Last post by boB - Today at 01:53:20 PM
Quote from: Barry Fields on Today at 01:38:10 PM
Quote from: boB on Today at 12:49:32 PMIt is a plastic box with Orange Pi inside that has 4 CAN ports, Ethernet, USB, 2 RS-232 ports for Classic integration...

What is MQTT for?

MQTT  is some kind of IoT  communications protocol.  That is all I know.

Google can tell you more but I am unfamiliar with it.

boB
Last post by Barry Fields - Today at 01:38:10 PM

What is MQTT for?
Catch all / this is a test
Last post by FNG - Today at 12:55:10 PM
And only a test
Last post by boB - Today at 12:49:32 PM

The Combox is a communications product design that is still in progress but close to seeing some sold.

It is a plastic box with Orange Pi inside that has 4 CAN ports, Ethernet, USB, 2 RS-232 ports for Classic integration...   It can be powered by Rosie, Barcelona, Hawkes Bay over CANBUS or 9V to 12V Wall Wart supply.

I was going to add a picture of it but it doesn't look like that is an option for this posting.
It has to be on some URL which I do not have without uploading to another web page it looks like

Last post by Barry Fields - Today at 10:23:16 AM
In the simplest of terms that an elderly Tennessee Hillbilly can understand:

The Rosie / Re: Grid Sell Update?
Last post by Wizbandit - Today at 07:08:00 AM
Yesterday I successfully tested the new SELL Code, it worked great but not until I found a big problem...

I have 600Ah of EG4 Lithium batteries on a stack of Rosies, when I tried the first test.app release Rosie would not stay connected to AC IN & sell, kept ramping up and bam, drop AC in.  Like most inverters I have setup to sell I want it to sell to the float setting which is 54V which is what the EG4 sheet says to use for float.  I blamed Rosie and reverted back to beta.app code to run in grid-support mode for now.

Move up to yesterday, chatting with Ryan and testing it was the Lithium battery's BMS's causing the problem or just the way Lithium batteries work in general.  Even though we have to use lead battery settings and terms (yes, Absorb is a lead term) you can make any charge controller charge a lithium battery.

My Barcelona and Hawkes Bay on this dual Rosie system would ramp up to the 56.4v absorb setting and BAM, when it hit the amps/watts would drop to Zero and the charge controllers would ramp back up and repeat.  This drop in power also caused the SUnny Island I was using to sell to drop off.

I watched the battery voltage during charging from 70% SOC and once the voltage got to 54v it stopped and no matter how much current was going in it would not move.  I had 160A going in and steady at 54v until the SOC got to like 98% then the voltage went up really fast to 56.x and that's when the Charge Controllers would stop pushing current and cause selling issues.

The fix was to set the Absorb time (another lead battery setting) to max which is 6 hrs with battery type Lithium and use ENDAMPS to go to FLOAT. The new MPPT's make good power in FLOAT and don't need to be in BULK to sell like the Classic does (engineering is working on new Classic Lithium code that will fix that).  The issue was it seems the BMS's would open to stop charge current at 56v and above and this was the problem.

SO I set ABSORB = 54.5 and FLOAT = 54.1 and Rosie SELL to 54v, ENDAMPS to 10A  It seems the EG4 will charge with absorb set to 54.5 and when the current drops to <10 it must be like 90% full which is fine for on grid.  Yesterday was a perfect day selling power to the Grid.  My RV on L1 of the stack would show only like -500w selling on that leg but -2Kw plus on L2 with Rosie-2 only selling when needed.  When not selling Rosie-2 would be in standby.  I think I peaked out at like 5Kw to 6Kw selling around 1PM.  After a week or so testing with no issues we will move this code to BETA.APP