News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Just a couple more.

MNGP allows a forced BULK. I presume that WBjr can force FLOAT. Can ABSORB be forced in the same way?

If true can that be done on the MODBUS?

Are PWM setpoint & width, or PWM% and SOC available over MODBUS?

Can WBjr data be injected over MODBUS?

;D  ;D Sure Barry just get a computer and program it.  ;D  ;D  ;D

As we progress here, I will need some help.

Best regards Barry
New Product Ideas and Discussion / Re: Whiz Bang Senior
Last post by boB - Today at 12:16:46 AM

Yes, Aux 2, the only PWM port is also used for WB Jr so pick one.

Yes, you can hook up the WB Jr. to either one. 

When you say MASTER, the only thing that is master about it is the battery temperature sensor reading comes from that Classic.

The default modbus address for each Classic is 10.  You can change it up or down.  Usually the main Classic (whatever that really means?) stays at ten (10) and the next one is usually 11.  Then it is easier to look at the second Classic with the first Classic's MNGP and vice-versa.

There is a special button push combination to tell the Classic's processor that it's modbus address is  now what the MNGPs present address is.  I can't remember if this particular action also changes the default MNGP address  (both saved in their own EEprom)  I think that is the case.

Classic and MNGPs  communicate back and forth of course but there are only certain things that are done.  All the information and settings for a Classic could be transferred over the modbus but it is limited.

What you could also do is take some small single board computer, add modbus or just use TCP/IP Ethernet (much easier I think)  and you could write a program to transfer all sorts of data with your own protocols.  All the features that we put in and the ones we didn't put in  :)  ;)

boB
New Product Ideas and Discussion / Re: Whiz Bang Senior
Last post by Barry Fields - May 04, 2024, 08:43:07 PM
Just so I understand.

If I use the Wbjr, I lose the ability to PWM. TRUE?
If I have 2 classic 150s in follow me, can I use the aux2 port on the second 150 to PWM?
The communication between 150s is Modbus. TRUE?
The first 150 is the master and the second is a unique addressable slave. TRUE?
Can the slave query the master for data? (ie SOC, set point, wbjr current)
Could another non-150 unique addressable slave do the same?

Just trying to get smarter. May the 4th be with you.
Barry
Lead Acid (Sealed and flooded) / Re: Float current degradation
Last post by boB - May 04, 2024, 03:29:18 PM

Lettuce know what they say

The Rosie / Re: Rosie tell me about SMA
Last post by holdmode - May 04, 2024, 01:33:45 PM
Hi:
And thanks for the information FNG.

You have confirmed to me that they work, the AC couplings, look good to me.

2-second question.

My solar installer license is going to install and he says it has to be UL listed, because the grid provider wants a copy UL certificate. Rosie is going to the grid.
My SMA needs Rosie.

Thanks FMG.

3-.
Lead Acid (Sealed and flooded) / Float current degradation
Last post by Barry Fields - May 04, 2024, 12:42:58 PM
I have queried "East Penn Batteries" with the  questions below. I will advise as to their response.

FLOAT CURRENT DEGRADATION

These are questions concerning GC10 215 AH FLA batteries.

(1) Assuming a reasonable absorb time, once given a float voltage of 2.35 vpc, the float current should eventually stabilize @ approx 450ma (for a very healthy battery). SOC=100%  TRUE?

(2) If the stabilized float current is above 450ma it is an indication that the battery can no longer achieve 100% SOC. TRUE?

(3) Is it possible to assign approximate numbers to question (2) ?     IE 600ma = 95% SOC  900ma = 90% SOC

Thank you for your consideration
Barry Fields
Hawke's Bay / Re: Ground Fault w/PV Breaker ...
Last post by aaapilot - May 03, 2024, 09:25:24 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 03, 2024, 05:41:51 PMI just looked and I have never enabled the ground or arc fault on the Hawkes Bay.
I think I always left them off on my Classics too.
Larry
Hi Larry.  The Classic has GF/AF built in, all you have to do is enable it.  For HB/Barcellona, you have to add the GF/AF kit separately, that includes a sub-board and 2 toroids.  Once you install the kit, you enable them in software, just like the Classic.   Dave
Hawke's Bay / Re: Ground Fault w/PV Breaker ...
Last post by ClassicCrazy - May 03, 2024, 05:41:51 PM
I just looked and I have never enabled the ground or arc fault on the Hawkes Bay.
I think I always left them off on my Classics too.
Larry

Hawke's Bay / Ground Fault w/PV Breaker Off
Last post by aaapilot - May 03, 2024, 09:49:24 AM
I've had an intermittent Ground Fault, aprox 5 times in 2.5 months since the system was installed.  It occurs either when the sun is setting or early in the morning just before sunrise. (At least, that's what I'm guessing since it's ok at 10pm and light on at 7:30-8:00 am when I check on the system.) Yesterday it occurred and the PV breaker was OFF on the HB. Is that even possible for the system to detect a ground fault when there is no load on the PV? (There IS a Surge Protector at the combiner box, so are the 2 LEDs on the SP considered a load??)  I'm beginning to think the Ground Fault circuit sub-board is faulty .... it is one of the original builds that have the D2 RED LED.  Incidentally, the system does NOT shut down when the GF occurs.  Just the red lite on the display w/ the words 'a ground fault has occurred'. When I press the knob to clear, when there is PV connected and on, the MPPT is still running and producing power. I thought the system would stop and had to be reset? I have removed the front cover to check the board when it occurs, before I clear the message on the screen, and the D2 RED LED is flashing quickly, showing normal ops????  The D1 RED LED has never illuminated, which is suppose to be on solid when a GF is present.  Thanks all.  Dave
The Rosie / Re: Rosie tell me about SMA
Last post by FNG - May 03, 2024, 08:14:23 AM
You are talking about AC Coupled. Rosie supported this now and does need to be enabled. When the grid fails and the Rosie is charging the battery from the Sunny Boy it will frequency shift to control the Sunny Boy. This is a typical addition to a grid tie system to provide backup