Legacy P&O PV Watts % ??

Started by epsgunner, August 05, 2012, 11:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsgunner

What does adjusting the percentage up and down do??

Solar mode seemed to max out at like 100 watts for my 145w panel.. so I took the suggestion and tried Legacy P&O mode today in the 90'F heat and overcast..

I noted that the PV Watts % number was at 9% when I went into the field for the 1st time.. then I bumped it to 20% and noted some wattage improvement.. like 110 watts..

Then I bumped it to 30% and got 116 watts output from a 145 STC panel..  80%    8)

But what does the function actually do?? and can you go too high and affect something else??

boB

What the sweep depth, watts % is supposed to do is to limit how far the Classic sweeps and that affects how much
wattage above and below the max power point will change.   Small values of percentage are better for losing less
power while it is sweeping, but if TOO low,  (1% ?) might miss partial shading peaks in the power curve.

This was where the old outback MX60 shined, as it swept wide enough to pretty much find any multiple power point
peaks on the power curve with partial shaded arrays.

I believe that for solar, somewhere between 10% and 20% should be good enough.

If you do not have any partial shading on your PV array, you might get away with 1% or 5% or something
very low.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

epsgunner

Quote from: boB on August 05, 2012, 03:01:44 PM

I believe that for solar, somewhere between 10% and 20% should be good enough.

boB

So setting it to 30% of PV watts is meaning the SWEEP for MPPT is opened up to find more GOOD power points..

So I should crank it back to 20% or so, or leave it at like 25% and see what happens..??

I also turned it to 2 minute sweep vs the std 3 minute sweep..

I did notice the input PV amps seemed closer to the MPPT battery amps OUT..

Like 8.3 in and 9.1 amps out..

Is that from adjusting it tooo high maybe??