Wolrd Map

Started by southernbaja, October 04, 2012, 10:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernbaja

Hi,

I just received a Classic 150. I have gone through the quick set up and everything seems to be working properly but I was never able to set my location. I have gone through the manual but I can't find anything in there either?

Can someone help?? :(

Halfcrazy

We removed the Wizard for now because it asked all sorts of questions like your location in the world but did nothing with it. We where getting tons of calls about the Longitude and Latitude alone and like I say they where cosmetic the Classic did not use it for anything. We will be bringing back the system design portion in another menu as well as bringing back the pieces of setup like location when they can do something.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

southernbaja

Got it. Just making sure I wasn't crazy.

Thanks   ;)

boB

Quote from: southernbaja on October 04, 2012, 01:54:00 PM
Got it. Just making sure I wasn't crazy.

Thanks   ;)

We'll leave being crazy to Ryan...   He's half way there already  :)

The map and latitude and Longitude will definitely have some good uses.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Volvo Farmer

crunnells

I had heard that they planned on using the latitude & longitude to figure out when sunrise and sunset are for your location (so the unit can "sleep" at night), as well as tell you the optimum tilt for your PV array for the current time of year.

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well but those come off the top of my head.

Vic

i,  too,  had felt that Lat/Lon were used to determine SR/SS,  and that would help the Classic know when to wake up,  with less relay toggling,  but guess that I was wrong.  The Wizard was neat,  altho some of us get a bit hyper about getting to the Throw the breakers to ON,  and the Wizard did cost a few minutes of delay in that THRILL.  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Quote from: Vic on October 13, 2012, 02:38:43 PM
i,  too,  had felt that Lat/Lon were used to determine SR/SS,  and that would help the Classic know when to wake up,  with less relay toggling,  but guess that I was wrong.  The Wizard was neat,  altho some of us get a bit hyper about getting to the Throw the breakers to ON,  and the Wizard did cost a few minutes of delay in that THRILL.  Vic

Another way that knowing latitude and longitude can help wakeup and resting is just knowing how long sunrise and sunset takes.

For instance, near the equator, sunrise and sunset is faster than north or south of the equator.

This, and the combination of Lat/Long and time of year can help certain aspects of wake and sleep.
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

i'm going to elaborate on what boB said of the daylight hours. for the northern hemisphere the more north you are from the beginning of fall to the 1st day of spring (equinoxes) the less daylight you will have. now from the 1st day of spring to the 1st day of fall the reverse is true as more northern latitudes will have more daylight than those more southerly in the northern hemisphere.

those near the equator have the amount of daylight and nighttime fairly evenly split at roughly 12hrs daylight and 12hrs of night and this has a bit of error due to equatorial wobble. those at the north pole will see the opposite as the colder months are 6 months of perpetual night and the warmer months are 6 months of perpetual daylight. this is something many of us fail to really give much thought to as we get what we get where we are, which turns out to be somewhere between the 2 extremes depending on how far north you are. it will dawn on some, as it did me, if they were to look at the sunrise/sunset times for their locale and compare it to one that is just either 100 miles north or south of them. it can often be only a matter of minutes in variation for most times of the year, but differences are more pronounced at the winter and summer solstice.

boB

What I did not realize until I went on a trip to Tahiti and the islands around there (on a freighter/cruise ship) was that
near the equator, the time from sunrise to sunset is much quicker than it is at higher or lower latitudes.  That was
very interesting.  This also is responsible for the "green flash"   one can see near the equator just as the
sun goes over the horizon.   I had forgotten about that flash until just now !

boB

EDIT !   What I meant to say was that the time it takes for the sun to rise and for the sun to set is faster than higher or lower latitudes.

Twilite does not last very long at all which is because the sun is going straight up and straight down rather than at an angle.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

crunnells

Yeah it always throws me off when I'm on the mainland and it's still light outside at 9am. It gets dark here much earlier!