Should I expect Firmware bugs?

Started by djohnm, October 25, 2012, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djohnm

I purchased a pair of Midnite Classic 150's well over a year ago (March 2011) and inserted in each was a sheet from Robin Gudgel congratulating me on my purchase and indicating that my Classics were "one of the first off the production line."

I finally got my new system up and running last night and the Classic is performing fine, though I noted (as I expected) that some of the features described in the latest Quick Start Guide were not available. Either that or I have not yet figured out how to access them... 8)

In any case, I'm prepared to flash the Classic with the new firmware (Revision 1070, Release date 8-17-2012) but a note on the download page gives me pause:

"...It has been discovered that In a few cases, after the installation of this version, unusual operation of the Classic has been noted. This is rare and has only been seen on Classics with very old Firmware."

I would assume that mine would qualify as 'very old Firmware' and, as far as 'rare' goes, I'm also a firm believer in Murphy's Law. So I'm wondering what kind of 'unusual operation' I might be on the lookout for?

Many thanks!

-Dave
2.15 kW (10 Evergreen ES-A-215), Magnum MS4024, Classic 150, 6 Trojan IND29-4V @ 1570AH. Off grid since 1975.

Halfcrazy

What that is referring to is that after the firmware upgrade there can be some weirdness. This is do to all the added features and simply requires a Quick Set or Vulcan Mind Meld as you will here it called here. The weirdness is only temporary until you do a VMM to restore the Modbus registers.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

djohnm

Thanks, Ryan. I quick search for VMM got me to a post by boB in the Stop and Sweep MPPT thread that lays out the procedure in Spock-like detail. I'll move ahead confidently...

-Dave
2.15 kW (10 Evergreen ES-A-215), Magnum MS4024, Classic 150, 6 Trojan IND29-4V @ 1570AH. Off grid since 1975.