Off Grid Wisconsin

Started by ClassicCrazy, December 30, 2012, 09:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicCrazy

First build
Classic 150, Mini PV, Outback 24v 3500 watt inverter

Mistake - mounting Classic in center top of Mini PV . Today I moved the Classic to far left so I can try to install Morningstar Tristar Mppt controller next to it . I am combining an old and new system together ( eventually ) .  And as you can see I have not connected anything to the Outback yet. Cold short winter days limit electrical building fun time !

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

cpm

Nice clean look.

Best get a box around those batteries post haste!

looking forward to seeing your build out as it progresses.

ClassicCrazy

Yes - I am going to build a box around the batteries - almost did that first but not being the best carpenter I decided to wait till I got them laid out so I could measure up exactly how I wanted to build the box. Just me and the critters in there. Someone on the windsun site just told me to worry about the battery cables going through the unprotected knock out hole . Was going to put a pvc on there but wouldn't you know the store was all out of the 2" I needed and bins full of every other size !
Just to show how much I am trying to improve my wiring mess here is a photo of my existing old mess . You can see I really like the Midnite Mini PV boxes - hate to think what it would look like without it !

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

vtmaps

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on December 31, 2012, 10:20:34 AM
Someone on the windsun site just told me to worry about the battery cables going through the unprotected knock out hole . 

Someone?!?!  I'm vtMaps here and there.  You are someone else (photovoltaic) at windsun.

--vtMaps

ClassicCrazy

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

cpm

I see that antenna splitter,
What else are you running?

Vic

Hi C C - pv,

And,  when you are planning your battery box,  it is a good idea to leave a few inches between each battery as well as about the same amount around the perimeter.   Insulation can be a good idea,  as it helps all batteries to attain approximately the same temp,  and therefore that of the BTS.  Insulation can cause unwanted heat to be reatained,  as well,  so this is a trade-off.

CC may be a Hammie Radio type,   from the looks of that switch and the Coax.

Looks nice.  Have fun with the new hardware.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Yes Ham radio always rules the day here and I apologize because I know I don't have enough antennas up so I am sharing the dual band vertical when I need to - but most of the time it is going to APRS for weather station. Blue coax is going to 80 meter dipole though I have it hooked up to FM radio right now.

I was going to insulate the battery box - right now the batteries are cold zero degrees out and dropping. I thought about putting an electric blanket or something else in there and using one of the Classic aux relay's to warm up the batteries when there is extra power available.  I guess I could cut some big vents in there in the summer to make sure it gets proper cooling.
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Hi C C,

Great on the antennas.  We all always want more!

If you BTSes on all charge sources  (can see the Classic's blue BTS in the first photo),   and you do not need all of the rated battery capacity,   then I would let them run cold.  Batteries kept cool generally live longer lives.   Looks good.  Have Fun,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

ClassicCrazy

I am checking into what kind of fuse to put at battery positive cable ( do most people just ignore this fuse ?)

Checking the net there are some very inexpensive 250 amp automotive type sound system fuses but I doubt those are acceptable. There are some $30 250 amp post type fuses rated for DC .  Then I remembered I have a bunch of salvaged big fuses - but the biggest is 200 amp. Since the rated input of the Outback inverter is 175 amps I may take a chance that any surges wouldn't blow the fuse.

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

niel

classiccrazy,
if it were me i'd use what i had and take the chances on possible surges. you can watch what you put on at any one time to avoid high surges. you at least have more than one of them and the worst case would be you'd have to get something rated for the full surge down the road. again just my opinion, but just not politically correct so to speak with most peoples thinking. go for it as it might work out well for you.

ClassicCrazy

Yeah - I did screw one of those 200 amp fuses on today - they are very sturdy and I have another one to switch it out  if I need to ( or just eliminate it ) . I won't cry if I blow one of them cause they were free and not $60 or more each .
It was hard to move that cable around today because last night was down to -16 F last night so it was kind of stiff !
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

C C,

Looks good,  and the price was right.  Have not looked up the data for those fuses,  but probably should be OK.

cpm - Well,  there are limits.  That is why that conditional -- generally -- was thrown in.  Do nothing here to warm the banks,  and the last time that I looked,  one was 9 degrees C ant the other was 10.  They will probably be about 2 degrees C cooler tomorrow AM.  There is the issue of correct Temp Comp,  and do wonder about stratification,  as mobility of the electrolyte must suffer at low temps,  I know that mine does!  Dunno.  YMWV.  HNY,  Vic

Photowhit

Quote from: cpm on January 01, 2013, 11:14:02 AM
Zero F wasn't one of those some values, more like mid 60s to mid 70s.

But I could be wrong, but my rule of thumb is that batteries like what we
like, temp wise. Where we do the best work, is where they do the best work.

Batteries are just fine down to @-15f (@-25c) but they loose 1/2 of their capacity. My batteries live outside in Missouri and have been fine down to the annual -10-15 max low, but I don't use them much in winter being the summer battery hog. If your in a substained -15 or so you want to watch how far you draw down the battery, since it has less capacity it looses capacity quicker and SG and then you can run into issues.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

ClassicCrazy

Yesterday I hooked up the Trimetric meter and last night put the first load on the batteries - it was a bit warmer out - in the lower 20's. I did notice the battery voltage drop quite  bit  under about 1000 watt load from the inverter - which I attribute to them being so cold. I think the thing to do with the batteries is to build the insulated box and try to warm them up a bit with extra power so that they will perform better in the winter. And of course it would be good to run the big loads on sunny days so that the batteries are supplying so much of the power.

Quote from: Photowhit on January 03, 2013, 06:42:02 AM
[

Batteries are just fine down to @-15f (@-25c) but they loose 1/2 of their capacity. My batteries live outside in Missouri and have been fine down to the annual -10-15 max low, but I don't use them much in winter being the summer battery hog. If your in a substained -15 or so you want to watch how far you draw down the battery, since it has less capacity it looses capacity quicker and SG and then you can run into issues.
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable