Battery equalization

Started by jmarc, January 06, 2017, 11:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmarc

Hi, Should i remove the cell caps on each battery during equalization? I know its a dumb question, but thought i should ask.

mike90045

NO.  Leave them on.  They have little vent holes.  If you remove them, you will get a LOT of acid mist all over the place.
Even with them on, beware of acid mist.
  Or read their manual, some brands have holes so tiny, you loosen the cap, but leave it sitting over the filler hole

Before you EQ, be sure the batteries have at least enough water to cover the plates, if you boil away enough water to expose plates, you ruin that % of the battery with dried plates.     Don't fill the cells all the way, or they will warm and the acid expand and bubble out the top !!
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Vic

...   AND,  do the EQ after the battery has been fully-charged, or as much so as you can manage.

IMO,  Veq should be Temperature-Compensated,   and within the voltage range recommended by the battery manufacturer.

Use your Hydrometer,   and the EQ should be done until the SGs of the lowest cells stop rising,   and,  then EQ for an additional 30 - 60 minutes after that.

If  your batteries happen to become relatively warm,   the SG readings should be temperature-compensated,   at about three points per 10 degrees F.   Subtract those points for temperatures above the battery Reference Temperature  --  usually 25 - 27 C (77 - 80 F).

If a full  EQ  cannot be performed on a single day,  the EQ can be repeated on the following day,   after that initial full-charge.

Sometimes,  it can help,   if most of the loads on the inverter/s are shed,  to allow getting to Veq sooner,  and perhaps allowing the system to remain at Veq later in the day ...

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

jmarc

As always, thanks for the help!