Whiz Bang Senior

Started by Barry Fields, March 08, 2024, 02:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

I don't like to use zeners, and especially low voltage zener diodes for things like protection because they can be very leaky.  5K Ohms is not real high so it might be acceptable at that low impedance.

You know...  Summing all 4 shunts together only tells you what one bigger shunt does.  It doesn't tell you if all 4 banks are sharing.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on April 10, 2024, 01:24:00 AMYou know...  Summing all 4 shunts together only tells you what one bigger shunt does.  It doesn't tell you if all 4 banks are sharing.

boB

Below is attached a method for a monthly evaluation of Bank Health. A total KWH charge data for each bank could be compared and reset monthly. (my previous post)
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

Barry Fields

After reflection, the acceptable limit of voltage drop across the shunt to buss connection should likely be in the area of -100mv. We already accept 50mv to 75mv across the shunt itself. (open to discussion)

U2 enables better trigger resolution of U1 (555 flip flop). R5 & R8 set the trigger point. As is it is approx -100mv.  R5 & R8 should be replaced with a potentiometer for adjustment.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

Barry Fields

Just so I understand.

If I use the Wbjr, I lose the ability to PWM. TRUE?
If I have 2 classic 150s in follow me, can I use the aux2 port on the second 150 to PWM?
The communication between 150s is Modbus. TRUE?
The first 150 is the master and the second is a unique addressable slave. TRUE?
Can the slave query the master for data? (ie SOC, set point, wbjr current)
Could another non-150 unique addressable slave do the same?

Just trying to get smarter. May the 4th be with you.
Barry

boB

Yes, Aux 2, the only PWM port is also used for WB Jr so pick one.

Yes, you can hook up the WB Jr. to either one. 

When you say MASTER, the only thing that is master about it is the battery temperature sensor reading comes from that Classic.

The default modbus address for each Classic is 10.  You can change it up or down.  Usually the main Classic (whatever that really means?) stays at ten (10) and the next one is usually 11.  Then it is easier to look at the second Classic with the first Classic's MNGP and vice-versa.

There is a special button push combination to tell the Classic's processor that it's modbus address is  now what the MNGPs present address is.  I can't remember if this particular action also changes the default MNGP address  (both saved in their own EEprom)  I think that is the case.

Classic and MNGPs  communicate back and forth of course but there are only certain things that are done.  All the information and settings for a Classic could be transferred over the modbus but it is limited.

What you could also do is take some small single board computer, add modbus or just use TCP/IP Ethernet (much easier I think)  and you could write a program to transfer all sorts of data with your own protocols.  All the features that we put in and the ones we didn't put in  :)  ;)

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Just a couple more.

MNGP allows a forced BULK. I presume that WBjr can force FLOAT. Can ABSORB be forced in the same way?

If true can that be done on the MODBUS?

Are PWM setpoint & width, or PWM% and SOC available over MODBUS?

Can WBjr data be injected over MODBUS?

;D  ;D Sure Barry just get a computer and program it.  ;D  ;D  ;D

As we progress here, I will need some help.

Best regards Barry