wind turbine and the solar go into separate battery terminals.

Started by mahendra, January 14, 2015, 05:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahendra

"wind turbine and the solar go into separate battery terminal"

Can someone please explain what will be the issue/s if this specific scenario was not satisfied.For example let say i am using an e-panel which to my knowledge will not satisfy this scenario.

i noticed some wind turbine manufacturers state this on their product manual.
Thank you in advance.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

inetdog

Well, I can see problems if the wind turbine's controller is the shunt/dump rather than diversion type or uses low frequency PWM on its output.
If the two CCs connect to the same battery terminal any internal resistance in the terminal and internal bus will cause the current variations from one to be seen as voltage variations by the other. With inadequate filtering of the battery voltage as seen by the CC there could be side effects and interactions between the two CCs.

But even if connected to separate battery terminals, they will still interact through the internal resistance of the battery.

If the wind CC is just a shunt type, then it will actually draw the battery terminal voltage below the actual voltage during current pulses and so will cause the solar CC to provide current at the same time the wind CC is trying to get rid of it.
But that would not depend particularly on the type of terminal connection as long as the resistance is low.

mahendra

WELL TO BE EXACT ITS A PRIMUS AIR 30 NOT SURE WHAT TYPE OF REGULATION THEY USE
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648