News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Beta KIDs

Started by Robin, November 16, 2013, 06:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

Some time ago, I posted something regarding beta KIDs being available on the forum here. The time has arrived. We got our first board stuffed last night so once Mario gets it all checked out, we will be building 100 beta units. A couple dozen of these will be made available to the Forum users. The retail price is estimated to be $399. We will also have a white Marine version available for $499 or so.
That means the street prices should be about $290 and $360 respectively from NAWS. Since I think some of the best feedback will be coming from people on the forum, we will extend the price of $200 for the KID and $250 for the Marine KIDs. This is definitely a one time limited offer. Production Kids are going to be very limited for the first few months and dealers will be allocated only a certain amount. The beta units will have all the same hardware as the production units. The beta units will not have all the firmware that we expect to have for production units in January. We do expect that the KID firmware will be upgradeable with a drag and drop feature. (Andrew in France is still working on that). The beta KIDs do come with a lifetime warranty as compared to the regular warranty of two years.
If anyone is interested in acquiring one of these KIDs, then please e-mail bo@midnitesolar.com to get on the list. We will be asking for your input, bad or good as to what you think of the KID. All comments will be taken seriously of course as we want this to become the best little controller on the planet. With your help, we can make that happen. Morningstar, OutBack, Xantrex etc, please do not apply. You will have to wait and buy one on the open market.
Robin Gudgel

tecnodave

Robin ,

I am very interested in purchasing a beta kid controller, I have tried several low end medium power MPPT controllers in the past and am ready for much better technology. I have just purchased a Classic 150 from NAWS and am very pleased with its performance. I have multiple Tracer (Biejing EP Solar Technology Co) MPPT controllers in California and one in Alaska and would like to replace them with American made units for more versatility. Thanks for this offer.

Kind regards,  David
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

Robin

I am aware of the Tracer. We should probably get one to see what we are up against. Where did you get yours?
Robin Gudgel

dapdan

MN,

I would like one of those beta kids too.

Damani

dapdan

Halfcrazy

Just a reminder. Make sure you Email bo@midnitesolar.com and tell him you want to be on the Forum Beta list for the KID

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

tecnodave

Robin,

I bought my Tracers on Amazon Sain Store , Storm Store and Nature's Electric . I would recommend Sain Store. The Tracer is maybe the best of the Chinese but it has fixed settings for battery type with no setting for L-16 type leaving my batteries undercharged,  and dismal support.

I am willing to loan you one for evaluation. I have the tracer 3215RN, 30 amp 150 volt, 12/24 volt, 390/780 watt and the 4210RN, 40 amp, 100 volt, 12/24 volt, 500/1000 watt units.

I paid about $190. For the 3215RN which I have been using for 2 years which replaced a BZ 500.
It has way more heat sinking than the BZ.  The Tracer is well built with large toroids and robust construction but pales in comparison to my Classic 150.

They were designed as street light controllers using 2 thin film panels at 68 volts with a 24 volt gel battery and an LED streetlight and LED controller all on the streetlight pole. They are optimized for this configuration. Reading their manual you will find sections copied from Morningstar's manual including the battery charge profiles.......clone?

This is what led me to these controllers as I am using CdTe thin film panels at 68 volts and many less expensive controllers cannot handle the 92 v.o.c. at STC of thin films including the B-Z.

David
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

ClassicCrazy

Will the Beta Kids have MyMidnite or Local Status App support ?
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Halfcrazy

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 17, 2013, 10:58:26 AM
The Kids do not have Ethernet on board. They do speak serial data so some one could take that data and make it do something. We have talked about building an interface for the Kid so it could speak to My Midnite or the Local App. Not sure how much demand there is for it?
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Westbranch

I for one ;D, will take the liberty of speaking for the group of 'data junkies' ::) that inhabit this 3 rd realm (MN forum), and  I would bet there are a lot of other  folks that would like to see what the Kid can (really) do...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

Quote from: Westbranch on November 17, 2013, 01:44:50 PM
I for one ;D, will take the liberty of speaking for the group of 'data junkies ::) that inhabit this 3 rd realm (MN forum), and  I would bet there are a lot of other  folks that would like to see what the Kid can (really) do...

Oh, yeah. The logging addiction is widespread. I put in my Kid beta request and I will be messing with logging from it if I manage to get a unit.  :o

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

mtdoc

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 17, 2013, 01:36:44 PM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on November 17, 2013, 10:58:26 AM
The Kids do not have Ethernet on board. They do speak serial data so some one could take that data and make it do something. We have talked about building an interface for the Kid so it could speak to My Midnite or the Local App. Not sure how much demand there is for it?

What flavor of serial data do they serve up?  (ie what protocol?)
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

Robin

I am not sure Mario has any data stream leaving his stacking port yet other than stacking data. This will be a question for MArio. I have heard that you will be able to put the KID in follow me mode with a Classic though. That means the hardware is capable of it. We do not anticipate adding Ethernet to the KID. This is a source of huge support issues. The price of the KID is low enough that support for the local app type of applications is out of the question,. That said....Ryan eluded to an outboard box being able to do this. I do not know if we will build this interface or if it will be a Raspberry Pie type of device or just what? We are so focused on just getting the basic KID to market, all that will have to wait. I suspect that only a very small percentage of people will use data logging to this level. We will make sure it is not forgotten, but that type of feature is not going to be used for the main market of the KID. Don't worry, you folks will scream at us enough that we will eventually do what you want. That is why we are offering the beta Classics here.
Tom, we will be sending you one ASAP. You will need it to help respond to questions here.
I will ask Mario to get involved in this thread. He can answer all the techie questions much better than Ryan and I.
Does this help?
Robin
Robin Gudgel

Westbranch

A BIG thanks for the detail Robin,  waiting patiently. ::)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

mtdoc

Yes, much thanks Robin!
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.