classic 250/up & running questions/PV shading?

Started by kings, September 05, 2011, 12:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kings

We are in an off grid application and bought 4 thin film panels(sharp NA-V115H1) that are made for a grid tie app.
So my question is will the classic 200 be adequate for this app?   What would be further recommended, combiner, disconnect,  etc? 
Also does the classic 200 help with a wind turbine? Currently the turbine is directly connected to the battery bank.
I am new to all things solar(RE), so any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Westbranch

for wind turbine info search for postings by KEYTURBOCARS he is heavy into the nuances of the Classic and wind applications, also read in the "Clipper section" of the board....

enjoy
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

laszlo

Mike,

The panel in question has an open circuit voltage (VOC) of 238V, and max power voltage (VMP)  of 174V, according to the panel spec sheet  at http://www.solardesigntool.com/components/module-panel-solar/Sharp/NA-V115H1/specification-data-sheet.html. This high a VOC is pushing the limits of the 200,  so you should really get a 250. This also means you will have to parallel connect your panels.  The max fuse rating for these panels is 2A, so you need to get 2amp breakers and wire your panels in a combiner box rated for 250V or higher, with each panel positive going to its own disconnect. Also, due to he high voltage of the panels, make sure to cover the panels with a blanket or some other suitable sunblock when you work on this system and make connections.

In regard to the question, yes, the Classic will work superbly with wind turbines -- but you can only have either a wind or solar input at the same time on a single Classic, so you have to pick which one, or have two controllers.

As a sidebar note,  I might add that for the small solar system you describe, you could get the smallest Sunnyboy 700Watt inverter instead, which would allow you to create a single string out of your 4 panels, but going with the SB you'd need to have a grid reference to which the SB can sync to. This grid reference can be a good quality offgrid sine wave inverter such as Magnum that will create the sinewave for the SB to sync to and also charge your batteries if your A/C loads are less than the PV generation. But the cost of the smallest Sunnyboy is more than buying another Classic and the combiner and breakers under the first scenario, so it kinda depends on what you already have in this system and your future expansion plans and budget for it.

Quote from: kings on September 05, 2011, 12:55:05 PM
We are in an off grid application and bought 4 thin film panels(sharp NA-V115H1) that are made for a grid tie app.
So my question is will the classic 200 be adequate for this app?   What would be further recommended, combiner, disconnect,  etc? 
Also does the classic 200 help with a wind turbine? Currently the turbine is directly connected to the battery bank.
I am new to all things solar(RE), so any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

Halfcrazy

If the panel has a VOC of 238 you will Have to use a 250 and if it gets below say 45F there you will be over voltage and the Classic will not turn on. I think I have run into an install using these and if you let them set in the sun for 2-3 weeks the voltage drops considerably although it may have been a different panel?
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

kings

Ok, we went with the classic 250, the big baby for a disconnect, and the 6 circuit combiner.  Now comes the fun part.  Thanks for the info on covering the panels while hooking them up didn't think of that...  might have a few more questions here in a day or two

kings

Ok today I installed the fuses and my system started to charge.  Very over cast today, the display read 150.0 volts/30watts/3.0amps.  It ran all day like this and then at around 7pm I hear an electrical PoP and smell hot electronics.  I run down to the 250 and shut off the disconnects.  I turn the 250 back on and it starts up and then the screen goes blank.  So I wait 5min and turn the controller back on and it stays on.  Then I flip the PV back on and smoke comes out of the top of the controller so I quickly hit the disconnect.  It ran all day from 11:am to 7:pm.  What should I do?????

boB

Quote from: kings on September 24, 2011, 07:21:29 PM
Ok today I installed the fuses and my system started to charge.  Very over cast today, the display read 150.0 volts/30watts/3.0amps.  It ran all day like this and then at around 7pm I hear an electrical PoP and smell hot electronics.  I run down to the 250 and shut off the disconnects.  I turn the 250 back on and it starts up and then the screen goes blank.  So I wait 5min and turn the controller back on and it stays on.  Then I flip the PV back on and smoke comes out of the top of the controller so I quickly hit the disconnect.  It ran all day from 11:am to 7:pm.  What should I do?????

Ooops !  They're not supposed to do this.  Sorry about that !

You should call our support line and we'll get you fixed up.  You can try this weekend, but  Monday morning for sure.

MidNite's main number is  360-403-7207

Support is extension 2

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

kings

First of all I want to thank the folks that have been helping me along the way. Ryan at midnight solar and those offering advice from their experiences.  ;D
* I have a few more questions, now that I am up and running.
PVShading; will a passing cloud send the controller into PVshading? Sun will be shining on the panels, it will be charging at 20+ amps and then BAM! PVshading at 2 amps??? Not sure what adjustments I need to make.
* Can I bump up the 'ABSORB' voltage to "get more amp hours out of the batteries" ?
That's all for now. I appreciate any and all help.
Also the controller is working SMOKE FREE!!!  ::) ;D
~Mike

Buzz

dapdan

Kings,

This is the same issue I brought up in another thread " classic tracking sluggish on 12v bank". Where after a cloud passes it says pv shading and hangs up there for a couple of mins and then comes out of it. During that time the output significantly drops and the input voltage is usually around or below the voltage of the battery. This occurs for 24v banks as well. I have updated to the most recent firmware and it still occurs. The folks at midnite are aware of it and they are probably looking for a fix. I have discover a work around in the mean time and it has worked well so far. I go into tracking and move it from "solar" to "dynamic". It seem as though the latter responds more slowly to charging insolation. I have found the net result is that there is less hang up in pv shading and hence more energy being harvested. Try this and see if it works for you until the folks at midnite addresses this issue.

Cheers...
Damani

boB

We have some tricks up our sleeve for the sometimes low PV and clouds issue.

If the Classic thinks that the MPP V is low compared with the Voc, PV Shade appears.
In your case, it's not correct of course.

Does this seem to happen mainly when a cloud goes by, or have you sen this at other times ?
Clouds are not partial shading of course and shouldn't be giving this behaviour.

Thanks for the info.
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

kings

Well, I've been running it on the legacy P&O setting, the sun is shining bright right now, so I shut every thing down and put the setting back to solar and it still showed pv shading.  So I'm not sure what is the cause, clouds or a passing tree shadow.  Thanks for all the help.

kings

Also one other thing, would a drain on the batteries cause the PV Shading?
Because I noticed that when my 12v water pump kicks in, even in full sun the controller reads Resting/PV Shading.

boB

Quote from: kings on November 21, 2011, 01:08:30 PM
Also one other thing, would a drain on the batteries cause the PV Shading?
Because I noticed that when my 12v water pump kicks in, even in full sun the controller reads Resting/PV Shading.

Hmmmm....  Shouldn't make much difference on PV power curve or shading.  Maybe the pump turning on makes
the Classic sweep and then it happens to find that shady spot ?

12V battery, right ?  These lower voltage batteries seem to be more susceptible to this shading phenomenon.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me