Help display dims slightly after being turned on

Started by mtfalk64, November 06, 2011, 09:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtfalk64

Hope someone can help.  I just hooked up a 150 and as long as the power is off the display is fine.  Once I turn on the charger the display goes dim.  sometimes it gets brighter or dimmer.  Any ideas?  I have it currently off right now till I get an answer to this.

Thanks

boB

What is your battery voltage ?   Are you driving any loads on either of the Aux 1 or Aux 2 outputs ??

The backlight dimming has to do with the 9 Volts that drives the MNGP/Remote.

This might also be because of a bad phone cable from Classic to MNGP.

Let us know and if necessary, we can certainly swap out the unit.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mtfalk64

Hi Bob,
  I did fine with my unit that I installed at my home about three weeks ago.  So I don't know what could be wrong with this unit that I was hooking up at my cousins home. 

3 - 12 volt 210 watt 18.3 voc  11.48 am Everygreen panels hooked in series (36 volts)
6 - 6 volt 220 amp wet cell batteries hooked in 12 volt series (12 volt @ 660 amps)

panels are 15 feet from charge controller and and 4 feet from batteries.

when Classic is off it shows (60 volts on panels, 12.3 volts batteries, 0 amps and 0 watts)  as soon as I go to mode and click on the unit the display dims to alot of times where you can barely see anything and sometimes comes back slightly dimm but.  very few times it will go full brightness but if it does its only for a second, then back to dimm.  When charging it shows (48 - 52 volts on panels, 14.1 volts batteries, 26 amps and about 300 to 400 watts)  If i go back to MODE and turn unit off it goes back to full brightness.

Battery negitive and positive is 6 gauge wire and panels coming in are 10 gauge wire both negitive and positive.

I did update firmware when I opened up the unit before hooking up all the lines and testing it. 

Would you think that my cousin should leave the unit off or do you think he can still run since he is on 100% solar only?

niel

it seems to me you could quickly determine if there is a problem either with the mngp or its connecting wire by putting it to your classic first with your wires and if fine then put the mngp wire from his install on yours to see if the wire brings it down in brightness.

mtfalk64

well Niel, my cousin is 3 hours from me.  for me to drive 6 hours round trip is a little hard to do all the time.

Mike

niel

although i did not realize you are that far apart it doesn't matter as you were going to go home sooner or later to return to him with a solution. take your wire and mngp to his place seeing as how you didn't get my suggestion before you went home.

boB

Well, I think we are going to get Mike a new unit.  Something is evidently wrong with its
aux power supply.   There are, like, 5 voltages coming from there and it's evidently not
regulating correctly.  Iv'e seen this a couple times but it's not always the same thing.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

i'm sure that works even better for him and his brother. 8)