I hate my Kid!

Started by Free Energy Freak, July 21, 2014, 11:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Free Energy Freak

Quote from: Westbranch on July 22, 2014, 11:35:44 AMFEF, to complete your sig , it will help to add the battery voltage.  it puts any numbers into perspective... 

Sorry. Forgot that. All banks are 12vdc.

Quote from: Westbranch on July 22, 2014, 11:35:44 AMAlso what are the loads during the day, some of your problrmd with charging may be  from a cloe to fulll battery and high heat and low PV output as DGD said

The 400 watts array is at the off-grid farm. It powers 3 watt LED lights, cell phone chargers, small DC television, dvd player, and a fan.
The 135 watts array is here at our home. It will power my electronics about once per week during a power cut of up to a few hours. Once I get the second panel wired, it should easily charge a single 120AH battery in one day, from my calculations. (I was pretty bad at math in school, though.)
The 100 watts array is at the off-grid farm, solely to power some outside LED perimeter lighting. Gets pretty dark where no mains are for some distance.

So far, I have only drawn a 150 watts 230v inverter to power my computer and a fan, during yesterday's power cut. Prior to then the battery connected to the Kid was pretty close to being fully charged. This morning, though, the battery should have needed a charge. However, when I woke - after sun rise, the display was already blank. The only thing I could do was power off the PV, power off the battery and restart the controller. I lowered the calibration on the input and connected the solar.

----------------

EDIT:

I want the battery to get as full of a charge during the day as possible. I certainly do not want to wake up every morning to a blank display, and have to sort it. :(
400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

Westbranch

Quote from: Free Energy Freak on July 22, 2014, 12:33:35 PM
I want the battery to get as full of a charge during the day as possible. I certainly do not want to wake up every morning to a blank display, and have to sort it. :(

Yup, that is probably everyone's main objective

cheers...

KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Mario

FEF, you will need to calibrate the kid with a more accurate meter than what you currently have, some users have mentioned that your panel VOC is probably really close to the battery voltage, that could also be a problem.
Now as for the Blank Screen, there were some Beta kids with that problem some of them got fixed with software update and others had to come back for a Hardware update.

Lets get you unit calibrated and see if that changes anything, try Solar 2 O&P mode, and if that doesn't fix it then the unit will most likely have to come back for hardware upgrade.... you have to remember that this is still a beta unit, hardware was still under final steps of development.
Soon enough I could have some Beta firmware that could help the issue.

Mario

Free Energy Freak

Quote from: Mario on July 23, 2014, 08:23:00 PM
FEF, you will need to calibrate the kid with a more accurate meter than what you currently have, some users have mentioned that your panel VOC is probably really close to the battery voltage, that could also be a problem.
Now as for the Blank Screen, there were some Beta kids with that problem some of them got fixed with software update and others had to come back for a Hardware update.

Lets get you unit calibrated and see if that changes anything, try Solar 2 O&P mode, and if that doesn't fix it then the unit will most likely have to come back for hardware upgrade.... you have to remember that this is still a beta unit, hardware was still under final steps of development.
Soon enough I could have some Beta firmware that could help the issue.

Mario

Yeah, I understand, Mario. I didn't really mean that I hated it. As you and I discussed on Skype, it is more of me NOT knowing what I am doing, I think, than it is the unit NOT performing as it should. "Too many bells & whistles for me," as my dear departed pappy would have said.

I just need to learn more about the unit and what the functions actually do. Not to mention, having a multimeter that is more accurate. I hope the one coming is accurate - considering it is being sold in the US, rather than in a Third World country.

I have (temporarily) disconnected it from the single panel, until I can get the other meter to check it with and / or the second panel installed in series. I will also look at Solar 2 if the calibration option doesn't work.

I really appreciate all your help, man. You went above and beyond, something I pretty well figured Midnite would do, to help your client. I'm sure, no matter what, it will be sorted out in the end.
400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.