Up and running

Started by Highflyer, August 04, 2014, 02:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westbranch

Tom, my comment is based on a bank of 15 inch high, 'wet' NiCds I have and I often hear a burp or two a couple of hours after dark when in the same room.  not consistent , just a random one or 2.

I also think walking across the floor is enough to release them from the inter plate space... while charging
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

Quote from: Westbranch on August 10, 2014, 05:04:56 PM
Tom, my comment is based on a bank of 15 inch high, 'wet' NiCds I have and I often hear a burp or two a couple of hours after dark when in the same room.  not consistent , just a random one or 2.

I also think walking across the floor is enough to release them from the inter plate space... while charging

Yeah, I have heard my batteries gurgle at non charge times but not much or often. My floor is a concrete slab with batteries on pallets so no vibration to loosen the suspended bubbles. They do gurgle a fair bit when I am shoving 50 amps into the 450 AH bank  ;D

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Highflyer

Tom,
My fan draws just .15 amps at 12V so I don't mind a 24/7 fan.  My array provides more power than I need so the little the fan uses is in the noise.  It pushed more than 60 CFM, so I know there will not be any buildups.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Highflyer

Okay, so I got out to the farm and added a third panel this weekend and upgraded some of the wiring.  Now I can make 10-15 amps even on really cloudy days.  This is important to me for several reasons, but mostly because I am running an aeration system while raising some forage fish in small ponds. 

Now I know I have the extra power to add even more functions using my excess power.   Now if I could only get 40 amps...... :)

Also, the new wire is on its way, Next time I upgrade the wiring to and from the batteries!!   

BTW, the fan is doing great.  While it was 32C yesterday, I never saw above 37C from the Kid, even when it was making 30 amps during a test load.  So far, so good.
Brian

Free Energy Freak

You have 690 watts charging 1 - 12v battery? :D 
Or, have you added another battery as well? :)
400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

Highflyer

Two batteries so far, a third and forth might be added for more over night operations.  Remember, I am running a 200 watt air pump so far and I am going to add a 135 watt water pump to the system.  The extra panel was for more amps early in the morning and later in the evening and during overcast days.  Besides, when I convert to 24 volts, the third panel will be mated to another panel for more power.  Then I should be able to run 24/7.

When I am using everything, the Kid is making 417 Watts (30 amps) max.  That is putting some amps into the batteries and the rest for the loads. 

I get that I am waisting some of this setup while I tweak it, but I really needed the power asap.  Now that the pumps are up and running, I can take some time to properly balance everything.  I definitely see the benefits of 24V or even 48V systems.
Brian

TomW

Quote from: Highflyer on September 02, 2014, 10:15:57 AM

I get that I am waisting some of this setup while I tweak it, but I really needed the power asap.  Now that the pumps are up and running, I can take some time to properly balance everything.  I definitely see the benefits of 24V or even 48V systems.

Solar is getting so cheap that over sizing your array makes fairly good sense as long as you can keep it from over charging on "good" days.

We are moving this Spring and will probably be leaving our current battery system behind. At the new place we intend to go with a Schneider XW+ hybrid grid tie with 48 volt Lithium Ion batteries so we have backup in case of an extended outage or the Zombie apocalypse  :o and will put up as many killer watts as we can afford. Hopefully enough to zero out our usage over the year. And I don't care if I pump a bit more in than I use.

So you are not the only one over sizing an array to make up for low light days.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Free Energy Freak

Brian (Highflyer) I look forward to (I hope anyway) more photos in the future as you change / add on to your system.

Tom, I thought you were a zombie already? :D

It was on this forum that I learned over paneling may not be the worst thing one could ever do. In fact, in areas where there is a significant amount of rain, it is probably a good idea, especially if you have a controller that can handle it.

400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

Highflyer

Tom,
Thanks for the thoughts, I figure an extra panel is cheep until I upgrade to 24V.

FEF,
I'll keep posting and hoping the experts keep give me good advise on the upgrades.  Ultimately, I want to produce most of the power we use at the farm.
Brian