using the load function

Started by Highflyer, August 25, 2014, 10:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highflyer

Has anyone used the load function yet?  I would like to use the "input" connected option to heat some water over winter. 

The manual addresses this function on page 25, but does not say much about it.  Does the Kid use the power first to charge batteries and then sends the rest of the power to the load? Or is it an either or function?  I need to be able to keep my batteries charged and then send any extra power I have to the heater.  BTW the heater will be in 2500 gallons of water, so there is no possibility of over heating/pressuring anything, I just want the heat as a bonus from the panels.

This setup will be a 24 volt system to start.  I may go 48 volts later if needed.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Jacotenente

I would be curious about this also.

Mario

The function is called PWM Divert, and it must be connected on the Battery side not the Input.
The description of the settings are explained in the manual.

Mario

Free Energy Freak

Quote from: Mario on August 26, 2014, 04:14:00 PMThe function is called PWM Divert, and it must be connected on the Battery side not the Input.

Using the PWM Divert function, could the terminals be wired to a small grid tied inverter?

Then, when the batteries are floating, all additional power generated by the panels would be sent to the load terminals, and on to say, a 300 watts grid tied inverter?
400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

Highflyer

I am going to try to use the extra power for a water heater.  I'll test it this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks Mario for the help!!
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Free Energy Freak

Quote from: Free Energy Freak on August 26, 2014, 05:45:38 PM
Quote from: Mario on August 26, 2014, 04:14:00 PMThe function is called PWM Divert, and it must be connected on the Battery side not the Input.

Using the PWM Divert function, could the terminals be wired to a small grid tied inverter?

Then, when the batteries are floating, all additional power generated by the panels would be sent to the load terminals, and on to say, a 300 watts grid tied inverter?

Anyone?
400 watts, MS ProStar 30m, 12vdc @ 240 AH - Internal lighting & 12v Shurflo pump at farm.
270 watts, Beta Kid, 12vdc @ 120AH - Back up internet, computer, during weekly power cuts.
100 watts, MS Sunlight 10a, 12vdc @ 50AH - Exterior LED perimeter lighting at farm.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Free Energy Freak on August 27, 2014, 06:08:35 AM
Quote from: Free Energy Freak on August 26, 2014, 05:45:38 PM

Anyone?
What are the specs of your grid tie inverter such as input voltage, etc ?  What battery voltage would you be diverting from ?  Don't grid tie inverters need a high voltage input ? You would be going from the battery voltage in not from the panel voltage.   My guess is it might not work , even if it did you would have efficiency losses of both controller and inverter so what would  you wind up with in the end ?  But only guesses without out seeing specs.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Free Energy Freak

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on August 27, 2014, 07:44:36 AMWhat are the specs of your grid tie inverter such as input voltage, etc ?  What battery voltage would you be diverting from ?  Don't grid tie inverters need a high voltage input ? You would be going from the battery voltage in not from the panel voltage.   My guess is it might not work , even if it did you would have efficiency losses of both controller and inverter so what would  you wind up with in the end ?  But only guesses without out seeing specs.

Sorry. I do not have one. The idea only came to mind when I saw this thread.
I suppose the battery voltage could be 12v or 24v.

I'm not sure, exactly, what they need, as I have only off-grid experience. I guess I was just wondering if, in general, it could be done. I see my batteries go into float so early in the day. I was thinking that, if there were a way to do this, some of the power generated could be sent back to the mains, so as not to be lost.

TomW

Quote from: Free Energy Freak on August 27, 2014, 08:41:35 AM
I'm not sure, exactly, what they need, as I have only off-grid experience. I guess I was just wondering if, in general, it could be done. I see my batteries go into float so early in the day. I was thinking that, if there were a way to do this, some of the power generated could be sent back to the mains, so as not to be lost.

I would float the idea of simply switching off the AC out cable(s) of said grid tie with a relay or Solid State Relay when there is low power available?

Seems that the inverter would sense the lost connection and shut down?

And power up when it senses the grid.

Just top of the noggin pre coffee toss it on the wall see if it sticks idea.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Mario

If the inverter supports being turned on and off 200 to 300 times per second and it survives then yes you can do it..... most likely it will not survive. PWM runs about that frequency and it is meant to be used by passive components such as water heaters.

If you want to sell power back to the grid you would need a grid tied inverter and set it up such that it would load the batteries to sell the power and the kid will see that load and try to keep up charging.... in any case the the inverter will go straight to the batteries and not the kid load terminals.

Mario

chris

Quote from: Mario on August 27, 2014, 03:48:55 PM
PWM runs about that frequency and it is meant to be used by passive components such as water heaters.
Mario

I am intrigued....what type of water heater? 
System 1
12 volt system,
280 AH DIY LifePO4 with 200amp JBD BMS
4x200 Watt 36volt panels 4P
MidNite Kid, WBjr
2000 watt Kisae SW inverter

System 2
Off Grid RV (parked and used as a cabin)
12 volt system,
4 X T-105+
6X100 watt array wired as 3 strings
MidNite Kid, WBjr & MNBTS
1500 watt Cotek SW

TomW

Quote from: chris on August 27, 2014, 10:49:10 PM
Quote from: Mario on August 27, 2014, 03:48:55 PM
PWM runs about that frequency and it is meant to be used by passive components such as water heaters.
Mario

I am intrigued....what type of water heater?

I think that resistance loads (heater element) will not care about fast switching. Most electric water heaters are simply resistors built for being in water.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

tecnodave

Chris,

I am using a G-E brand 10 gallon water heater from Home Depot in my 32 foot Tioga Motorhome cabin. I swapped out the element and thermostat for ones that came from Missouri Wind and Solar.
Threads on the element were the same and the thermostat was not an exact fit but easily doable as it just contacts tank outside.  I have a Classic 150 and a Kid, both controllers have been used to do this.

I am very over paneled as I have a summer foggy season,  I'm currently running the Kid with 1020 watts in 24 volt, 4 ea L-16's at 400 a.h. Current limit set down to 25 amps.....@ 30 amps the Kid gets a bit too warm at 53 deg c. water heater element is 600 watts.....most days I will have a hot shower as well as fully charged batteries.......big job for one Kid......am buying second kid for motorhome and will be playing with follow me and bully mode with 1536 watts in

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

acorn

Hey tecnodave, that's a nice application.

Since the water heater element is thermostatically controlled does that mean the diversion load does not have to be available 100% of the time when the load output is set up for PWM Divert?

Thanks.

-Scott

chris

Quote from: tecnodave on August 28, 2014, 02:46:43 PM
Chris,

I am using a G-E brand 10 gallon water heater from Home Depot in my 32 foot Tioga Motorhome cabin. I swapped out the element and thermostat for ones that came from Missouri Wind and Solar.
Threads on the element were the same and the thermostat was not an exact fit but easily doable as it just contacts tank outside.  I have a Classic 150 and a Kid, both controllers have been used to do this.

I am very over paneled as I have a summer foggy season,  I'm currently running the Kid with 1020 watts in 24 volt, 4 ea L-16's at 400 a.h. Current limit set down to 25 amps.....@ 30 amps the Kid gets a bit too warm at 53 deg c. water heater element is 600 watts.....most days I will have a hot shower as well as fully charged batteries.......big job for one Kid......am buying second kid for motorhome and will be playing with follow me and bully mode with 1536 watts in

td

I'd be really interested in seeing how you put this all together.  So....you replaced the stock water heater with one that has DC heating elements in it?...by chance do you have a thread explaining how it was all done?

I have a 40 gal solar batch water heater hooked up now (and it works well) but with the approach of fall I don't think it will maintain high enough temps.
System 1
12 volt system,
280 AH DIY LifePO4 with 200amp JBD BMS
4x200 Watt 36volt panels 4P
MidNite Kid, WBjr
2000 watt Kisae SW inverter

System 2
Off Grid RV (parked and used as a cabin)
12 volt system,
4 X T-105+
6X100 watt array wired as 3 strings
MidNite Kid, WBjr & MNBTS
1500 watt Cotek SW